Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
need some help on a 5.7 mercruiser. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

Default need some help on a 5.7 mercruiser.

I need a little info on 5.7 mercruiser. I had a 19p high five prop on my boat and found a great price on a 17p so I bought it for a spare then someone stole my 19p prop so I put the 17p prop on and I just love the way it preforms.

the problem im having is I don't know what the max rpm's are for a 5.7 mercruiser. right now with a moderate load im turning 5000 rpm's at wot. I don't run wot very often I just want to make sure im not over taching my motor. I don't really want to buy another 19p prop as I already have 2 17p props. and when im really loaded up on lake erie the 17p prop really does a great job, it jumps on plane and really stays hooked up in rough water and on turns, and will stay on plane at slower speeds than with a 3 blade prop.

I know I could back the throttle down a little if I really need to. and that's the reason im asking for the max rpm's for the 5.7 motor. so please help me if you can.

I have a 21' glass boat that came with the 5.0 228 hp engine but I had to put another engine in it back in 07 so I put a 5.7 vortec engine with 315 hp. but im pretty sure the rpm's would be the same as a 5.7 260 hp engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Minn quest

Default From mercury web sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
I need a little info on 5.7 mercruiser. I had a 19p high five prop on my boat and found a great price on a 17p so I bought it for a spare then someone stole my 19p prop so I put the 17p prop on and I just love the way it preforms.

the problem im having is I don't know what the max rpm's are for a 5.7 mercruiser. right now with a moderate load im turning 5000 rpm's at wot. I don't run wot very often I just want to make sure im not over taching my motor. I don't really want to buy another 19p prop as I already have 2 17p props. and when im really loaded up on lake erie the 17p prop really does a great job, it jumps on plane and really stays hooked up in rough water and on turns, and will stay on plane at slower speeds than with a 3 blade prop.

I know I could back the throttle down a little if I really need to. and that's the reason im asking for the max rpm's for the 5.7 motor. so please help me if you can.

I have a 21' glass boat that came with the 5.0 228 hp engine but I had to put another engine in it back in 07 so I put a 5.7 vortec engine with 315 hp. but im pretty sure the rpm's would be the same as a 5.7 260 hp engine.
MERCURY® MERCRUISER®
5.0L / 5.7L / 6.2L

Small Block. Big Power.
Versatile combination of power, performance and efficiency that fits your boating needs.
HP / kW 320 / 239
Maximum RPM (WOT) 4800 - 5200
Engine type V-8
Displacement (L) 6.2
Fuel delivery system Multi-point Electronic Fuel Injection (MPI)
The specifications displayed here may not be indicative of the entire engine family; click on the “See All Models and Specs” link to view the specs in detail.

See All Models and Specs

Find a dealer
Compare
Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 AM
mk cant log

You probably know that the 5.7 is the old small block GM 350 V8. I've had lots of them in cars and trucks and before they had computer rpm limiters, the "redline' was nearly always 5,000 rpm. The Vortec is probably computer controlled and may have a built-in limiter, but if not, keep it at 5K or under and you should be fine.

Unlike vehicle applications, Mercruiser build engines for extended running time at WOT so you shouldn't have any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

I really want to thank you guys for all the information. like I said I rarely run wot but its nice to know that the 5000 rpm's im turning should be ok.

im not one who really worries about top speed. but when im loaded for erie I love the hole shot with the 17p high five. I usually have 4 or 5 people with a cooler for food and drinks and then a big cooler half full of ice for our fish then I have 2 electric riggers with 2 13# balls then I have transom mounted trolling motors and trim tabs then I have 4 batteries in the back of the boat. 2 batteries are for the boat and 2 batteries are for the trolling motors. then we have our tackle and rods and reels, so were loaded pretty heavy. I also carry a couple of spare props and hub kits, and anchors and rope with about 8' of heavy chain. and the boat still jumps on plane and performs very well in rough water or in turns. I have a 21' cobia glass boat.

good fishing to you all.