Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2005 Lund 1800 Pro-V Floor rebuild.... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Wallhanger

Default 2005 Lund 1800 Pro-V Floor rebuild....

Well here is my most recent work on my 05 Pro-V. Had some soft spots in floor and decided to rip it out. Transom shot too. That's the fall project. All I have to say is this could have been avoided by making some very simple manufacturing changes. Pretty sad when you pay the prices they charge for these things. Some of the crazy things I found:

> They used steel screws to attach original deck. Yeah they rusted and many had to be drilled.
> They really don't think about removing any of the flooring later. Screws in places you can't get at all.
> They cheat when they carpet and use the carpet as a cover all for the lack of accurate installation of the end
boards.
> The rear deck and livewell have so many screws that either missed or barely made their mark it was nuts.

I think it looks pretty good.

3/4 marine plywood. West 105 epoxy and Marideck vinyl wrapped on each board. Pre-counter sunk all the screw holes and used Stainless 318 screws touched with some silicone.
Screwed it down every 12" plus corners.
This **** thing is so solid it could hold an elephant.

PM me with any questions. Glad to give you a list of what I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3256.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	263522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3342.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	263530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3243.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	263538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3268.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	263546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3307.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	263554  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Keeper

Default Floor

It looks great. I have a 2001 1900 and the floor under the drivers seat rotted. I cheated and just replaced that section. The rest of my floor is pretty solid. I would really like to see how you do the transom. How do you remove the motor with all the lines, cables, hoses running to it. I don't think an engine hoist is tall enough for such a project.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Wallhanger

Looks pretty darn good to me. Mine doesn't need it but I would love to rip it up and put vinyl in. How many hours you got into just the floor? Were you able to remove the floor without removing everything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Lund guy

Default Did one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1928 View Post
It looks great. I have a 2001 1900 and the floor under the drivers seat rotted. I cheated and just replaced that section. The rest of my floor is pretty solid. I would really like to see how you do the transom. How do you remove the motor with all the lines, cables, hoses running to it. I don't think an engine hoist is tall enough for such a project.
You remove the lines,cables,and hoses lift the engine with a hoist, all of that is the easy part, the transom is a real pain in the butt to fix.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Wallhanger

The new floor looks great!

Lund assembly and finish is not what it used to be. That's why after 4 lunds, I'm looking at other options for my next one.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-i-Lama View Post

Lund assembly and finish is not what it used to be. That's why after 4 lunds, I'm looking at other options for my next one.
Lunds aren't what they used to be - they are better.

Lund listens to the consumers and works hard to improve.
Today the floor sheathing is riveted , except over the fuel tank where is it screwed, in case of need for access.
Transoms on almost all models are no longer wood.
Numerous models have no wood at all.
People clamor for dry storage--so, a new water management system is developed which allows for dry storage on several models (water drains through tubes down through the foam and into the bilge).
The warranty coverage has increased over the years and now is the most comprehensive that it has ever been.

History shows that nobody is perfect, but the main thing is, Lund gains huge amounts of information every year from consumers and they use it . Every year, Lund has new innovations, improvements and new models. All of which are based on the consumer feedback.

We can all understand the pain that would be associated with a bad transom or anything else that wasn't covered under warranty. Nobody wants that. The best thing would be to never have it occur. --Lund understands that and is constantly working, changing and redesigning to try and keep negatives and failures from ever happening.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-i-Lama View Post

There are some currently-experienced-issues that tie directly back to Genmar days.

Since ownership changed in 2007 - there seems to be a pretty solid change/improvement in quality/longevity.

Features and layout - there's not even a comparison it's so much nicer now.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post

Today the floor sheathing is riveted , except over the fuel tank where is it screwed, in case of need for access.
People clamor for dry storage--so, a new water management system is developed which allows for dry storage on several models (water drains through tubes down through the foam and into the bilge).
The warranty coverage has increased over the years and now is the most comprehensive that it has ever been.

History shows that nobody is perfect, but the main thing is, Lund gains huge amounts of information every year from consumers and they use it . Every year, Lund has new innovations, improvements and new models. All of which are based on the consumer feedback.

We can all understand the pain that would be associated with a bad transom or anything else that wasn't covered under warranty. Nobody wants that. The best thing would be to never have it occur. --Lund understands that and is constantly working, changing and redesigning to try and keep negatives and failures from ever happening.
TMac, thanks for adding that perspective. It is great to see the improvements in design. I would be the last to even attempt to argue with you regarding Lund design and continual improvements. I agree, Lund design is better than it used to be, but from my perspective assembly and finish is not.

Even if I overlook the bad plywood that was used in my transom and floor replaced in an 8 year old boat that was stored inside, Lund clearly has some manufacturing (assembly and finish) issues.

The two biggest areas they could improve are electrical, carpet and flooring installation.

The dash and rear area wiring is a MESS. Everything ran helter skelter and nothing is secured. Ground wires look like grape vines, running every direction and crimped with automotive style fasteners and electrical tape. Some wires ran at angles across spaces. This makes it very difficult when trying to trouble shoot or simply add accessories.

The carpet is low grade and does not hold up to average usage. The carpet is completely matted after about 3 years. Almost all corners show wood or aluminum. There is a basic technique for covering corners that others use and Lund does not. After eight years the hull is occasionally giving up loose rivits, screws, drillings and scraps that were left over from the manufacturing process. The bilge pump does not enjoy this!

The flotation foam that is in the floor is overfilled, then cut level which makes it absorb and hold water. This is part of the reason that the floor rotted, as it was always wet from below. This also makes the floatation less or ineffective, not to mention all this extra unnecessary weight. I was stunned by the amount of water that this flotation foam absorbed, and it never drains out as the bottom side of the foam still has the "skin".

I could provide more, but I think you get my point. Lund simply needs to do a walk thru and clean up of the assembly and finish process. They need to bring these processes up to the level of their design and marketing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Lund basher as I'm on my 4th boat.

While I don't exoect it to be perfect, I don't think I'm out line for expecting Lund to be better!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

I probably spent 35-40 hours total....Lots of it was learning what they did and how they did it....Getting the floor out was the toughest part. Once it was out, it's pretty straightforward. Carpet hides a lot. Once I figured out what they did and where they cheated, i adjusted my strategy from there.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post

T-MAC,

I sure hope they are. If your $40-$60K car were built like this, it would be slaughtered. These aren't cheap $15K boats. After ripping this thing down to the stringers, there really isn't much in terms of "Engineering" to these things. Lund has been building boats for how long? 75 plus years? And this is all they learned? I agree under Genmar they probably took more shortcuts than today, but again, compared to a vehicle, building one of these is like comparing a tricycle to an F-22. I'm not a fan of things being built that you can't repair when you know they will need repairs. What I'm saying is for the $$, these things shouldn't have these kinds of issues and should be built to withstand the environment they are made for. It's a boat, they get wet, they bounce around.

Now it's off to Canada so I can actually use this thing!!! Time to get back to Fishin!