Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Toyota 4Runner Limited or Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Keeper

Default Toyota 4Runner Limited or Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited?

I am looking at possibly getting a new ride and I am trying to decide between these two. I would like input from people that own one or have owned one. Maybe what you do and dont like about your vehicles. I do have a Dodge Ram 1500 for towing long distances, but I do want to use it for towing locally.
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Keeper

Default 4Runner

First I will say I am a Toyota guy (2 Tacoma's, 4Runner, Tundra). I owned a 2005 4runner (6 cylinder) for several years and put 100,000 miles on it. I used it to to tow a 1900 pro-v from Colorado to MN and back, several trips to SD and back. I never had a single problem with the 4runner. When I sold it, we sold it to our son who is still driving it. He has changed a motor that closes the back hatch , and he changed the boots on the CV joints. Loved the 4runner but I wanted a bigger truck.

Jerry
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Wallhanger

my wifess family was a grand cherokee family. everyone had one. the last 2 or 3 years, due to enormous issues with fuel pumps and other stuff, they now own 4runners, pilots, and enclaves and love them.

i used to work for a dodge/chrysler dealership, i would never buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

No offense intended for Jeep, but they are not in the same league as Toyota, at least in terms of reliability.

4Runners are very well known for lasting a long time. My 2006 has 164,000 miles and is going strong. I had a transmission scare a while back, but it turned out to be nothing.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Keeper

I own a 2015 GC Limited with the 6 cylinder 3.6 and now have 33,000 miles on it. Jeep does not have the greatest reputation (just read Consumer Reports) so I bought a lifetime unlimited mileage extended warranty with it. I had transmission trouble with it in the first 9,000 miles - Jeep replaced it under warranty and it has been flawless since. It pulls my Crestliner Super Hawk 1750 without issue and the 4 wheel drive system is excellent. The best vehicle I have ever had for snow and mud and is extremely fun to drive. The UConnect entertainment system is awesome.

Prior to this I owned a 2003 Toyota Highlander - great vehicle but too small and not enough towing capacity, a 2007 Acura MDX again great vehicle but the small block had to be replaced at 95,000 miles I drove it until I had 216,000 and traded in on the Jeep.

Overall very happy with the Jeep but I have heard great things about the Toyota 4 Runner as well.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

The 4 Runners have a great reputation, but expensive compared to a Jeep. If towing is a primary consideration the Grand Cherokee is the better choice. Depending on drivetrain the GC is rated to 7200 tow capacity, so nearly 50% tow capacity more than the Toyota.

I have a 08 GC with the Mercedes 3.0 diesel which is an outstanding tow vehicle and which I use primarily for towing. It has 77k miles of which I estimate at least 50k was used for towing. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything go wrong with it except scheduled maintenance. I am well aware of the Jeep reliability concerns, but that has not been my experience, and considering the tough burden of extensive towing, that is quite a record. Concern about the Jeep reliability stays in the back of my mind, however. My greater concern is dealership and Fiat support and competency.

Since you have a RAM truck you must have peace of mind regarding Chrysler Fiat products. I don't think there is a quality difference between the RAM, Chrysler, and Jeep product lines. In fact a lot of the components used cross those lines.

I have to ask why you use your RAM for long hauls, but you want an alternate vehicle for local hauls?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Toyota
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Toyota
Hands down Toyota . I have a 2004 Toyota 4runner and it is unstoppable.

Last edited by CreedXS; 08-09-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Minnow

Look at prices of older trucks and you will see the reason why Toyota is the better buy. Have owned a few Toyotas and a bunch of Fords. Toyota is what I recommend. If you need full size look at F-150 or larger.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
The 4 Runners have a great reputation, but expensive compared to a Jeep. If towing is a primary consideration the Grand Cherokee is the better choice. Depending on drivetrain the GC is rated to 7200 tow capacity, so nearly 50% tow capacity more than the Toyota.

I have a 08 GC with the Mercedes 3.0 diesel which is an outstanding tow vehicle and which I use primarily for towing. It has 77k miles of which I estimate at least 50k was used for towing. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything go wrong with it except scheduled maintenance. I am well aware of the Jeep reliability concerns, but that has not been my experience, and considering the tough burden of extensive towing, that is quite a record. Concern about the Jeep reliability stays in the back of my mind, however. My greater concern is dealership and Fiat support and competency.

Since you have a RAM truck you must have peace of mind regarding Chrysler Fiat products. I don't think there is a quality difference between the RAM, Chrysler, and Jeep product lines. In fact a lot of the components used cross those lines.

I have to ask why you use your RAM for long hauls, but you want an alternate vehicle for local hauls?

The Truck is my company truck which my business partner is using sometimes. It is also parked at my shop 15 min away, so it adds 30+ minutes of messing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro