Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
bought Ranger 620VS and have a few FF, TM and general questions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2018, 02:16 PM
unchained unchained is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Default

First time boat buyer (mostly fish from a kayak but thought a boat would be in order as I live right on great water).

The boat is a Ranger 620 VS and it has old fishfinders and a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 101 with some issues, so I'm going to be replacing those over the winter.

On the topic of the trolling motor, I like to bass fish so I'll be standing fishing at the bow alot. Deciding if I should go Ulterra...the autotrim and auto stow/deploy look pretty cool but I've seen enough peopel complain about the autostow/deploy that I wonder if I should just stick with an Ultrex or Terrova or something.

With respect to fishfinders, I am looking for something like a 10" FF at the bow and another 10" at the helm. Ideally I would like Side Imaging, GPS, sonar and Down Imaging available in both spots. So I was thinking I had to purchase 2xHDS 10" or 2xHelix 10" SI GPS for example to accomplish that.

Doing some reading, I believe I learned that I can have, for HB Helix units anyway, 1 full featured HB Helix 10 SI GPS and one Helix 10 Sonar GPS unit, and if networked, the basic unit can display the side imaging and down imaging from the other one.

1. is that true?
2. if so, are there any disadvantages to that?
3. Is this only true of the imaging or is it also true of the GPS? I assume a Nav+ chip can't be shared?
4. How about Lowrance...can they share the maps? (pretty sure the Lowrance units' functionality is more transducer related and they can share those...)
5. with MinnKota and Humminbird is the iLink functionality worth it?

The price difference is not astronomical but it's significant enough that I thought I had better ask first. Just bought a Ranger 620VS and this fall/winter will be rigging season for me.

In any event, enjoying he boat and am open to literally any suggestions in getting it ready.

thanks

P. S. Pic of the boat and my fishing partner attached...

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...4&d=1538511615
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_192603_1538511609672.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	304764  

Last edited by unchained; 10-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-02-2018, 07:36 PM
ltrain's Avatar
ltrain ltrain is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,815
Default

I can't help you on the graphs as im a Lowrance guy other than to tell you that you can network the Lowrance hds graphs via the ethernet cable and they will share transducers maps and waypoints.
As far as the trolling motors go, you saying you're a bass guy means you probably are going to be steering with the foot pedal. The Fortrex and Ultrex are the better suited motors for foot pedal trolling motors. Fortrex is cable steering and ultrex uses a power steering pedal system and can do anchor lock. Motorguide also offers a cable steer motor ,the X5.
__________________
1987 Lund Baron
2005 Yamaha f150
1998 15 hp Mariner 2stroke with controllking
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 PM
unchained unchained is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
I can't help you on the graphs as im a Lowrance guy other than to tell you that you can network the Lowrance hds graphs via the ethernet cable and they will share transducers maps and waypoints.
As far as the trolling motors go, you saying you're a bass guy means you probably are going to be steering with the foot pedal. The Fortrex and Ultrex are the better suited motors for foot pedal trolling motors. Fortrex is cable steering and ultrex uses a power steering pedal system and can do anchor lock. Motorguide also offers a cable steer motor ,the X5.
thanks.

Yeah I'm thinking ultrex probably as you get the better control, toughness and cable steering, but also get ipilot for spot lock or remote steering. I do like the auto trim and auto stow/deploy as I will fish lake Ontario and other big water sometimes but not sure if often enough to make ulterra worthwhile

I'll fish 60%bass, 20% walleye, 20%other (muskie, salmon etc)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-03-2018, 01:26 PM
BreezyPoint's Avatar
BreezyPoint BreezyPoint is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Breezy Point, MN
Posts: 1,517
Default bought Ranger 620VS and have a few FF, TM and general questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained View Post
First time boat buyer (mostly fish from a kayak but thought a boat would be in order as I live right on great water).

The boat is a Ranger 620 VS and it has old fishfinders and a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 101 with some issues, so I'm going to be replacing those over the winter.

On the topic of the trolling motor, I like to bass fish so I'll be standing fishing at the bow alot. Deciding if I should go Ulterra...the autotrim and auto stow/deploy look pretty cool but I've seen enough peopel complain about the autostow/deploy that I wonder if I should just stick with an Ultrex or Terrova or something.

With respect to fishfinders, I am looking for something like a 10" FF at the bow and another 10" at the helm. Ideally I would like Side Imaging, GPS, sonar and Down Imaging available in both spots. So I was thinking I had to purchase 2xHDS 10" or 2xHelix 10" SI GPS for example to accomplish that.

Doing some reading, I believe I learned that I can have, for HB Helix units anyway, 1 full featured HB Helix 10 SI GPS and one Helix 10 Sonar GPS unit, and if networked, the basic unit can display the side imaging and down imaging from the other one.

1. is that true?
2. if so, are there any disadvantages to that?
3. Is this only true of the imaging or is it also true of the GPS? I assume a Nav+ chip can't be shared?
4. How about Lowrance...can they share the maps? (pretty sure the Lowrance units' functionality is more transducer related and they can share those...)
5. with MinnKota and Humminbird is the iLink functionality worth it?

The price difference is not astronomical but it's significant enough that I thought I had better ask first. Just bought a Ranger 620VS and this fall/winter will be rigging season for me.

In any event, enjoying he boat and am open to literally any suggestions in getting it ready.

thanks

P. S. Pic of the boat and my fishing partner attached...

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...4&d=1538511615


Having just gone though these choices, this is my feedback to you:

1. Being an old guy with some back issues, I went with the Ulterra. Best decision I ever made. You can use a foot pedal with it, but I cannot speak highly of the pedal. It seems to take a lot of pressure to steer with it (more than the old mechanical pedals on some of my previous trolling motors).

The motor has made four trips toCanada with no issues.

2. iPilot link is great, especially with a newer unit with the electronic compass. I use the advanced autopilot all the time and it works much better than the previous autopilot mode.

3. Here is a chart that shows the data sharing capabilities of Helix units.

https://www.humminbird.com/sites/hum...731.1538593959

4. You cannot share map data on Helix units. This may end up costing you money if you need maps on more than one unit. I do not know if maps can be shared on other units.

5. For Helix units, if you want to display engine data on the graph (from a NMEA network), this is possible with one caveat...the connection is unidirectional so if you want to install fuel management on your boat, you will need a device (in addition to the NMEA black box) to be able to configure NMEA devices. I installed a Lowrance LMF-400 for this purpose. There have need some changes with respect to NMEA with the Solix units, but I am not sure what the extent is. They do have an NMEA connector on the back so I do not think you need the black box.

6. With my Helix units, I can run the Ulterra via my depth finders. I have found this to be useful at times.

7. The newest Ulterra has expanded imaging capabilities with the built in transducers...you should research that as you make your decisions.


Basically, I went all Humminbird/Minn Kota as I was essentially buying into a complete ecosystem. Kind of like Apple, expensive but everything seems to work together well (that is with the exception of the NMEA network).








Frank
__________________
Frank

Last edited by BreezyPoint; 10-03-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2018, 01:39 PM
unchained unchained is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyPoint View Post
Having just gone though these choices, this is my feedback to you:
iPilot link is great, especially with a newer unit with the electronic compass. I use the advanced autopilot all the time and it works much better than the previous autopilot mode.

ith my Helix units, I can run the Ulterra via my depth finders. I have found this to be useful at times.

he newest Ulterra has expanded imaging capabilities with the built in transducers...you should research that as you make your decisions.
Great, thanks Frank.
Autopilot - this is a LINK only feature? Would this be something you program a path on your Helix chart, then let the Ulterra do its thing? Pretty amazing technology.

Ulterra has its own transducer? Now i'm confused. Will read up.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2018, 03:31 PM
BreezyPoint's Avatar
BreezyPoint BreezyPoint is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Breezy Point, MN
Posts: 1,517
Default bought Ranger 620VS and have a few FF, TM and general questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained View Post
Great, thanks Frank.

Autopilot - this is a LINK only feature? Would this be something you program a path on your Helix chart, then let the Ulterra do its thing? Pretty amazing technology.



Ulterra has its own transducer? Now i'm confused. Will read up.



Thanks again.


Most Minn Kota trolling motors have a built in transducer. The newest feature more advanced transducers. I am not totally familiar with those capabilities.

Advanced autopilot allows you to set a course simply by pointing the trolling motor head in the direction you want to go. Regular autopilot did this too, but would drift considerably. Advanced autopilot requires link and the electronic compass. This compass comes with many of the units. I believe advanced autopilt requires iPilot link.

You cannot program a course, except with the follow the contour feature which requires Humminbird depth finders and Lakemaster maps. I havenít tried this yet.

These are expensive items. They require investment and learning. I am still learning.

If you have more questions or want to discuss feel free to pm me your phone number and I will call you to discuss.
__________________
Frank
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2018, 02:48 PM
James Morris James Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyPoint View Post
You cannot program a course, except with the follow the contour feature which requires Humminbird depth finders and Lakemaster maps. I havenít tried this yet.
FWIW - you can do this w/o following a contour. I believe you create a route, then convert the route to an itrack. An itrack is the same kind of track created when you record a track with the ipilot motor deployed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2018, 03:14 PM
ltrain's Avatar
ltrain ltrain is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,815
Default

Quote:
FWIW - you can do this w/o following a contour. I believe you create a route, then convert the route to an itrack. An itrack is the same kind of track created when you record a track with the ipilot motor deployed.
Just letting you know you can follow a route with lowrance hds graphs interfaced with the Xi5 trolling motor. No follow the contour though, and no cable steer. I will say the wireless footpedal isn't that bad, its not as responsive as cable steer of course but the longer you step on it the faster the rate of turn becomes.
__________________
1987 Lund Baron
2005 Yamaha f150
1998 15 hp Mariner 2stroke with controllking
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2018, 04:11 PM
BreezyPoint's Avatar
BreezyPoint BreezyPoint is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Breezy Point, MN
Posts: 1,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morris View Post
FWIW - you can do this w/o following a contour. I believe you create a route, then convert the route to an itrack. An itrack is the same kind of track created when you record a track with the ipilot motor deployed.


Thanks, James. I will have to try this. As I said in a previous post, I am still learning these things and I like getting this advice.


Frank
__________________
Frank
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 PM
kman kman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: wis, usa.
Posts: 630
Default

I've had my Ulterra about 3 months now, and it was worth every penny, The Auto trim has been surprisingly handy, If your a bass fisherman, you'll love it. And the auto deploy, solid gold.

Foot pedal does everything you'll need it to do, The beauty of the 18' pedal cord, or the ability to simply disconnect the foot pedal and get it off of the deck....I also greatly prefer the much lower profile of that foot pedal compared to the much higher Cable steer pedal.

I urge you to strongly consider the Ulterra.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.