Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
RayMarine v Hummingbird v Lowrance v Garmin - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default RayMarine v Hummingbird v Lowrance v Garmin

Anonymouse has to rig his latest 22' acquisition with a new fish finder this spring.
After a lot of careful research it's looking like there are 4 contenders and without any real-world experience on any of them, Anonymouse is at an impasse.
All of the candidates run pretty much in the $775-$925 range - depending on how badly a person wants or needs additional maps from those built in.
(Sheesh, Anonymouse still remembers buying his EAGLE Sea Charter 480DF & Ultra III 3D for under $300 each.)

Working the 9" screens with 800x600 resolution:
All can be found with or without extra map card deals and all have at least some maps built in.
Do NOT need networking, so saving money on units without bluetooth or Wi-Fi is a bonus.

• RayMarine Elements 9 HV w/HV-100 Transducer
• Humminbird HELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA SI Fishfinder/GPS Combo G3N (pricey)
• Lowrance HOOK2 9 w/ TripleShot Transducer
• Garmin echoMAP Plus 93sv with LakeVu g3 Charts and Transducer

So, the question for the class today is:
Do you have real-life experience with TWO or more of these units, so that you can honestly make a first-hand testimonial as to which technology YOU found preferable?
Also, some of these units have 2 levels of transducer quality & Anonymouse can probably figure that part out - but it would be important to state WHICH transducer(s) your particular experience was obtained on.

Gotta admit, right now Anonymouse is slightly leaning toward the RayMarime Elements 9 HV model but that's WHY he needs imput from the valuable experience of those on this forum.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 12-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2019, 04:12 AM
Wallhanger

Default What transducer

What transducers with each unit?
Old 12-14-2019, 05:15 AM
Wallhanger

Default why important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
What transducers with each unit?

One unit a wide cone angle transducer and the other narrow cone angle. The wide angle will show more fish obviously and will cause one unit to look to be better because it shows more fish. I lean to the Garmin for reasonable cost above mid range priced transducer selections. Next would be the HB imaging on side scan and down scan (mega)

Like with stereo systems, transducers act like a speaker, better speaker offer better performance.

One last tip, networkable units offer so many options, important if your fishing positions are at the bow and stern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2019, 07:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
One unit a wide cone angle transducer and the other narrow cone angle. The wide angle will show more fish obviously and will cause one unit to look to be better because it shows more fish. I lean to the Garmin for reasonable cost above mid range priced transducer selections. Next would be the HB imaging on side scan and down scan (mega)

Like with stereo systems, transducers act like a speaker, better speaker offer better performance.

One last tip, networkable units offer so many options, important if your fishing positions are at the bow and stern.
With my Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit it came with a HDI transducer that has 4 Frequency: 83/200/455/800 kHz............so that's also 4 different cone angles to choose from. Great for searching fish and then narrowing in on them. It's my best weapon against Lake Erie perch.

It's also completely compatible to being networked if you choose so.

These units can still be had for around $500 in used after market via the internet.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
With my Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit it came with a HDI transducer that has 4 Frequency: 83/200/455/800 kHz............so that's also 4 different cone angles to choose from. Great for searching fish and then narrowing in on them. It's my best weapon against Lake Erie perch.

It's also completely compatible to being networked if you choose so.

These units can still be had for around $500 in used after market via the internet.
So two 2d and 2 down scan
Old 12-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
So two 2d and 2 down scan
Yes, but if you want a side scan transducer can be added...... I have no need for one.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Wallhanger

Hey Anonymouse , I know everybody has their own budget limits but I think you'd be much happier in the end going to a 12" screen. Perhaps even grabbing a unit off the second hand market at a substantial savings. That way you could get a top tier model too.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 12-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default this is a good time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Hey Anonymouse , I know everybody has their own budget limits but I think you'd be much happier in the end going to a 12" screen. Perhaps even grabbing a unit off the second hand market at a substantial savings. That way you could get a top tier model too.
Agree with this and now through the boat show season is a perfect time to find a unit within your budget. Bigger is certainly better, as many know am a huge fan of the Lowrance HDS 8 Gen-1, 2 is first choice. For straight up sonar LCX 37 or 38 no DS or SS. Pretty good sonar images. Sharing the screen with map and sonar for sure the 12" screen a plus. And I have said before I prefer HB lake master maps for the smaller inland waters of Minnesota
Old 12-15-2019, 04:07 PM
Wallhanger

Since Anonymouse asked about specific transducers I'll add this pic of one of my favorite sonar images from my summers trip to Mille lacs. This is with a 12" BG ( Simrad) using sonarhub and med chirp with an HDI transducer. I will note that starting with the gen 2 touch Lowrance units there is no need for the separate sonar hub as its built in. My gen 2 equivalent Simrad and BG units do not have an integrated sonar thus my need for the sonarhub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_121201.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	314224  
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 12-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I don't know the A/B comparison, but my son has been running the RayMarine on both of his boats for the last year and has been more than satisfied.