Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
NW Angle report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default NW Angle report

Our group of 8 guys just got back from Sunset Lodge on Oak Island up in the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods. Fishing was slow but we all had a good time. Half of the guys had little or no ice fishing experience. One of the guys is from Virginia so after riding across the ice from Young's Bay out to Oak Island he can now tell his southern buddies he's officially an "ice road trucker".

The first day the temp was started about 15 and fell throughout the day with a 20 mph wind. We rode the bombardier out about 35 minutes to our fish houses on the Minnesota side to fish for walleye and sauger. The houses were over 26' of water. Like I said, fishing was slow. We were in two houses and early on one of the guys came over from the 2nd house and said they had a a 33" fish. One of our contests was for the biggest walleye so we thought the contest was over early. It didn't take long, however, before someone confessed that the fish was a northern. Turns out the biggest walleye was 21.25". I think it was the only fish in the slot. We wound up with around 16 walleyes and 10 saugers to bring home in addition to the 7 we had as appetizers one night. The smallest fish contest was won by a 6" walleye with a couple 6.25" close behind. We also brought home a few jumbo perch and one big tullibee.

Then it got cold overnight and the next day was -15 but little wind. That second day we fished for crappies in houses on the Ontario side in 32' after about a 45 minute bombardier ride out. Again fishing was slow, but the crappies we got were very nice. We wound up with 26 crappies. The smallest two were about 12" but the rest were all nice 14" slabs. Biggest was 14.25" so the action was slow but the crappies were good sized. The bite was very light so many times there was no bite detected until you felt the weight while lifting the jig.

I like Sunset Lodge because of the option of fishing both the Minnesota side and the Canada side. We had the meal plan and all the food was great. Nice bar, too. Our fishing could have been better, but hey, that's fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the good honest report always a good time up there glad you guys had fun
Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Minnow

Agree with Patrick, thanks for sharing your trip information. We are staying on the MN side this weekend at Zippel Bay. Should be good and cold if the weatherman is even remotely correct with the weather forecast. We would be happy with the results of your bad days of ice fishing.

2022 Lund 1775 Impact XS
Mercury 115 Pro XS
MinnKota Terrova
Lowrance Elite FS9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Walleyeguy3,
I'd appreciate a report about Zippel Bay when you get back. Like they say when touting stocks or mutual funds: "past performance may not predict future results". And yet they constantly tout the past performance. My wife and I are going with another couple to a sleeper house out of Zippel Bay on Feb 5th. She doesn't fish at all so this should be interesting. Her first question was : "Can I bring my knitting?" Fishing means we'll get what we get, but I'd be curious if you find one lure or presentation that works best for you. Of course my wife will be using two dead sticks or rattle reels so her hands can be free for knitting.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:41 PM
Minnow

Default Zippel Bay last weekend

We got our backsides kicked last weekend. The fishing was horribly slow and it was super cold and windy. We were forced to consume large quantities of carbonated beverages, play cards and watch some college hockey at night. The guys were getting a fair amount of bites with (noise making) rattle baits. The most effective catching lure for us was a glow pink Demon, medium sized, not certain of the weight. All we had for bait was some frozen shiners and live fatheads. Wondering if another bait choice might have made a difference, although we heard the whole area was slow so bait choices may not have made any difference. You may want to call ahead to various bait shops to see what they have available for bait. Our sleeper house was a bit dirty and well used. It also only had three rattle reels available. Had we known this ahead of time we would have brought some of our own (shame on us). I would highly recommend that you call ahead if you have any concerns about the house that you are going to be spending your time in. The Zippel crew were very friendly and made themselves available to us all weekend. Fortunately (depending on your point of view) the only need we had was fish which they couldn't do much about, that is Mother Nature's department. Hope you have a great time and catch lots of fish (the ones we left behind). Tell us how things go for your group, please.

2022 Lund 1775 Impact XS
Mercury 115 Pro XS
MinnKota Terrova
Lowrance Elite FS9
Old 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
Walleyeguy3,
I'd appreciate a report about Zippel Bay when you get back. Like they say when touting stocks or mutual funds: "past performance may not predict future results". And yet they constantly tout the past performance. My wife and I are going with another couple to a sleeper house out of Zippel Bay on Feb 5th. She doesn't fish at all so this should be interesting. Her first question was : "Can I bring my knitting?" Fishing means we'll get what we get, but I'd be curious if you find one lure or presentation that works best for you. Of course my wife will be using two dead sticks or rattle reels so her hands can be free for knitting.
Let us know what you think of their sleepers. Reports I've heard of their condition are disappointing. Hope your's is okay.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
Walleyeguy3,

I would recommend checking out Slim's Resort. They are located on the river and you will not be disappointed. We stay there in the summer and winter. Just got back from our couples trip and they take care of you. I would recommend the meal plan. They have limited sleepers - we always stay at the resort and have them take us out every day. Great Resort!
Humminbird Solix 12 on Dash and Solix 10 at Bow
MinnKota Ulterra Quest W/Mega SI/DI and I-Pilot Link