Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's Your Bucket List Trip - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Bob G too

Lots of good responses. One thing I'd add is that for these expensive AK fly-in lodge trips that have daily fly outs is to make sure that the lodge has good homewater as weather or equipment issues may impede flying out.

A money no object trip would be Tropic Star Lodge in Panama. Another would be king salmon/steelhead fishing in Pa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Bob G too

Patagonia
Old 12-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G too View Post
Patagonia
Patagonia is absolutely epic. Gone there the last 2 seasons for 17 days each trip. The way to describe it is like its Montana was 200 years ago. Scenery is stunning. Dirt roads. Gouchos. Sheep. Rolling hills. Glaciers that are mezmorizing. Fishing under a glacier as its clear water rips down from the melting ice and under your feet as you wade the lake is unreal. The glaciers are 100s of feet deep and just ginormous.

The lakes are beautiful. Crystal clear and I mean like diamonds. On a clear day you can see 80 feet straight down.

The rivers and streams are like nothing you have ever seen. Stalking BIG browns holding in a stream no wider than a picnic table. Accuracy is critical. With strong winds known for that part of the world your fly fishing expertise will be put to the test. I fished with master fly-fishermen and hosts from fishing shows and some days we were all on our knees. By the end of our trip I was throwing flies I had no business doing 3 weeks earlier.

The browns are big. Many in the high 20 inches. Rainbows too. And last year I caught a 20 lb brown, on a 6 wt fly-rod. 18 minutes to bring it in. I will never do that again in my lifetime.

The scenery is stunning. And I do this for a living. The fishing can be epic. Keep in mind that assuming you are fly-fishing (which you should be) the winds can be very tough. It was common to have 25-30 mph winds each day. Several days we had winds of 60+. Therefore your casting has to be spot on as its technical to say the least. You can have great days and crummy days (dont go for a short trip). But what I found is that I was experiencing a place so beautiful, undeveloped and pristine it was an honor just being there. The fishing was secondary.

-FT
Old 12-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Keeper

Default Fishing is secondary?

Hey Ted - Sorry dude but most bucket list fishing trips are all about the fishing.
Glad you enjoy Patagonia and happy you are a pro but your post struck me like a heavy bat.
I will take a river/lake full of fish, "easy fishing" on my bucket list trips any time.
Wonder how many folks on this site are hard core "fly fishing - which you should be" types.
I try to avoid Snobsville, USA an never leave home without my hand picked nightcrawlers.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteye3 View Post
Hey Ted - Sorry dude but most bucket list fishing trips are all about the fishing.
Glad you enjoy Patagonia and happy you are a pro but your post struck me like a heavy bat.
I will take a river/lake full of fish, "easy fishing" on my bucket list trips any time.
Wonder how many folks on this site are hard core "fly fishing - which you should be" types.
I try to avoid Snobsville, USA an never leave home without my hand picked nightcrawlers.
LOL. Tell that to muskie fishermen. Guys going to Russia or New Zealand sight fishing for monster trout. Or Tuna fishermen in the Atlantic or Marlin fishing in Cabo. Or hiking deep into Yosemite for golden trout. How many fish you catch has nothing to do with the ultimate experience.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

Three years ago a wealthy friend flew me from Ontario to his house in Vancouver then we flew north to Bella Bella and helicoptered into a 5 star floating lodge ( Millbank Sound) for ocean Salmon, It was a pretty epic trip for me but he does it every year. In the winter he goes to Tasmania to fish Brown Trout and hop scotches in a helicopter. Pretty amazing he can catch a fish there and text me the pic 5 minutes later. I actually do my bucket list tip every year when I drive to Port Clinton and meet up with a bunch of my American friends for 2 weeks...high light of my year and the fishing has very little to do with it.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteye3 View Post

Going to stick up for Ted here. I think you read it the wrong way. When he said he does it for a living what he meant was he owns a lodge in NW Ontario, he's not a fly fishing guide or anything like that. The vast majority of the anglers who visit his lodge to catch the walleye, pike and smallmouth aren't fly fishing so there's certainly no elitist attitude.

This is Ted's thing to do in the winter after a busy season of catering to anglers. Personally his description of Patagonia made me want to go, it sounds awesome.

Take the comment about you "should be fly fishing" at face value and don't read into it. Patagonia is a landscape of rivers and lakes that are tailor made for fly fishing. Poll 100 avid fly fishermen what their dream trip would be and I'll bet many would include Patagonia.

Anyhow, just thought I'd interject.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Keeper

Default Mike & Ted

Ok, my bad, Ted being an Ont resort owner w/Mike vouching for you - hope you have a great trip this winter.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Wallhanger

After having Heart Surgery 8 weeks ago and having time to think about how close I came to not being here, Every trip is a "Bucket List" trip. Middle April for fishing Tn and Late June fishing with my brother on Eagle Lake ON at VBL.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Keeper

Bucket list trips?

I have 9 kids and 2 grandsons between my wife and I so “bucket list” trips have a little different meaning for me at the moment....

Just crossed one off my list this November when my best friend since Preschool, my oldest daughter, and I went up to Lake St Clair for musky. An awesome time spent with 2 of my favorite people. The 2 musky that we caught were a bonus and we will definitely be making the trip back up a couple of times next year.

I own a cabin in Ontario and our yearly family trip has become another bucket list trip for me. My parents and all the kids for a week doesn’t get much better. My parents are 72 and still going strong so I enjoy every single moment I have with them and all the kids.

Our fall guy trip has become another bucket list trip for me. We call ourselves the Wingnuts because we’re really not wound to tight. My dad, PJSHORTHORN, myself, and a couple other guys head up for a week of male bonding which doesn’t happen often enough anymore. The craziness that ensues is not for the faint of heart, TRUST ME! My favorite part of the trip? All of the exploring that we do and experiences that we have!

As the kids get older my bucket list will change... Lake of the woods, Lac Seoul, and many others....

Remember it’s always not about the size or amount of the fish, it’s about the memories that are made on the adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk