Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
gray braid for LOW - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Keeper

Default gray braid for LOW

my hands and eyes are getting to the point that tying a piece of flouro on to my braid is problematic. does anyone use just straight braid to jig at LOW with success? any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel View Post
my hands and eyes are getting to the point that tying a piece of flouro on to my braid is problematic. does anyone use just straight braid to jig at LOW with success? any help would be appreciated.
I haven't used a leader with my braid for a few years now and haven't noticed any difference anywhere that I fish. I haven't fished LOTW, but I have fished the Rainy River this way. I also spend a lot of time on dark water lakes near Sioux Lookout and haven't noticed any difference there either. I hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Keeper

I used to use just braided line tied to my jig it worked fine. I used red or green. Two years ago I went back to just invisx fluorocarbon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Keeper

Just to add more I fish LOWs 2-3 weeks every year. I did the braid with floro leader in my opinion it was a pain in the rear. 2 guys I go with last year tried braided line jigging the first time by Monday they both respoiled with invisx. Line is a matter of what you like but braid tied to your jig works fine.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel View Post
To answer your question; Don't know about LOTW but I tie direct for 90% of my jigging.

I might offer an alternative; Would you find it easier to tie to a swivel, instead of tying directly from braid to flouro? Just use a short enough leader that you don't need to crank the swivel thru the rod eyes. As a preventive to banging the metal swivel against the rod tip, one can use a large plastic bead above the swivel as a bump stop against the rod tip.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
To answer your question; Don't know about LOTW but I tie direct for 90% of my jigging.

I might offer an alternative; Would you find it easier to tie to a swivel, instead of tying directly from braid to flouro? Just use a short enough leader that you don't need to crank the swivel thru the rod eyes. As a preventive to banging the metal swivel against the rod tip, one can use a large plastic bead above the swivel as a bump stop against the rod tip.
Exactly what i do, tie about 6 to 8 3-4 foot leaders and use them as needed. I used to tie braid directly to jig and i did catch fish. I do know the first time i tried this i had 4 guys in the boat jigging, boat had 9 eyes- i had 7 of them. I was the only person using a leader.Could have been coincidence but i now use fluoro leaders tied to small black swivels.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 09-30-2019, 05:06 PM
Wallhanger

Just tie fg knot for braid flouro connection, eyes don't need to be that good to tie it. It's fast, strong, works
Old 09-30-2019, 06:21 PM
Keeper

thanks for all the info. i'll put it to use next year at LOTW
Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

I was using small swivels. They worked fine. Twist isn't the problem with braid as it is with Mono. So I've started using the "Surgeon's Knot". It's very easy and fast to tie. I'm going to stick with it - seems strong enough for me. I caught walleyes in the 26-27-28 class with it this summer. Also 10-12lb northern. Give it a try if you want to use a floro leader...

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/surgeons-knot
Old 10-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Wallhanger

I use bright yellow power pro and up until this year tied on 2-3 feet of Flouro. In June I got to fish with JEff Gustafson(bassmaster Elite) for a couple of days on LOTW and he ties on 6-8 feet.

I use an Alberto know and easily end up doing it far less often than previously. He was telling us that Sean Gimsby uses 20-25' of Flouro them the know is largely irrelevant you tie it on so infrequently.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot