Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What new unit for ice/boat dual use? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 PM
Keeper

Default What new unit for ice/boat dual use?

I need a new sonar unit for the rear backtrolling position on my boat--I run the small kicker or the electric trolling motor, and my current unit crashed.
I also could use a new ice fishing portable sonar, so I'm wondering about a unit to use both seasons.
I know I'll need to have both transducers and 2 power cords, and use a rechargeable ice battery set-up.
I prefer a graph type rather than dial flasher type screen, so I have a longer look at seeing fish.
Also noticed Humminbird is talking about an Autochart unit for under the ice structure plotting...haven't studied that yet.

Anyone using their unit for both seasons, and happy with the set-up?
I'll post this under electronics section also, maybe get more responses sooner?
THX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 10:48 AM
robrileyw42

Have a Helix 7 SI/DI unit that pulls double duty. I love it and bought it just incase i was to ever get into ice fishing. My girlfriend uses it and I use a Vexilar 18 but find I enjoy watching her screen more than the Vexilar...Scheels/Cabelas sells the ICE conversion kits for around $250 I believe.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

I use a Helix 7 g2 with di and gps. Having lakemaster mapping is a plus fot me. I use it in my 14' Lund in summer. Humminbird has an ice kit that has the gimble mount, transducer and power cord included. The kit can be ordered with a battery also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Of course what would you like to spend? Word has it that Garmin is the leader in Ice Fishing technology with their scanning sonar. I have talked to my boat dealer and my bait shop guy who claim this is the real thing, drill a hole, do a 360 scan and you can see all around you and it's the real deal. If I did not have a relatively expensive and expansive Lowrance network I would be checking it out.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Keeper

One thing to keep in mind since a few posts already indicate the use of DI (3D sonar) units.

It's important to realize in order to get the performance and accuracy from 3D sonar the transducer needs to be in motion, a few MPH actually, so DI is not your best choice for using through the ice.

I believe that the ice transducers do not support the frequencies to use DI capability..........some head units allow the user to select 2D sonar as well so a Ice ducer can be used with those units.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamefisher View Post
One thing to keep in mind since a few posts already indicate the use of DI (3D sonar) units.

3D? That's not how I think of DI. It's just a different technology of 2D sonar, or am I missing something? Humminbird has their 360 sonar, which I'd call 3D. Normal 2D sonar shoots a vertical cone, Di shoots a fan shape. I'd agree 2d would show a larger area vs. DI, which would be better for ice fishing where the ducer is stationary.

Read your owner's manual.

Last edited by h8go4s; 10-22-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
3D? That's not how I think of DI. It's just a different technology of 2D sonar, or am I missing something? Humminbird has their 360 sonar, which I'd call 3D. Normal 2D sonar shoots a vertical cone, Di shoots a fan shape. I'd agree 2d would show a larger area vs. DI, which would be better for ice fishing where the ducer is stationary.
It is what it is and doesn't work (or work well) unless the transducer is in motion.

Last edited by biggamefisher; 10-22-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Keeper

DI works great when stationary. I use it all the time while jigging in open water or on the hard water. SI is the one that performs much better with motion.
Minn Kota Ulterra 112# 36v iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 SI MEGA Flush Mount
Humminbird Helix 9 CHIRP Bow Mount

Instagram @harderoutdoors
Old 11-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkWalter View Post
DI works great when stationary. I use it all the time while jigging in open water or on the hard water. SI is the one that performs much better with motion.
You are right about SI but just because you think DI works fine because you use it all the time when stationary is wrong, fact of the matter is it doesn't work well at all!

DI sonar scans the water in razor thin sections, pieces them together to display them on the head unit, it needs to be moving to piece an image together, otherwise your just getting a display of a small razor thin section........so it will still work when stationary but just not very well at all, your missing much detail from the sonar signal.......traditional sonar is the way to go.