Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cordless tools for around the house and yard. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default Cordless tools for around the house and yard.

I'm really liking cordless. Recently bought a Dyson vac, Kobalt weed wacker and blower. The gas Stihl blower and wacker will be seeing much less yard time as will the Dyson corded vac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

I've gone that route too. I recently bought a cordless chainsaw that I really like as well.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:38 AM
Keeper

Default Cautious of what you purchase

Several years ago I invested money in Menards house brand Mastercraft tools. Within a short timeframe the battery's and charger puked. Menards no longer supports that battery system so I have useless tools. Now own Dewalt that is never outdated and very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelmn View Post
Several years ago I invested money in Menards house brand Mastercraft tools. Within a short timeframe the battery's and charger puked. Menards no longer supports that battery system so I have useless tools. Now own Dewalt that is never outdated and very happy.
Similar story here. For years I've used Craftsman 19.2V cordless tools, now 1 by 1 I'm migrating to Milwaukee's M18 platform.

HRG
Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

Rigid guarantees their batteries for LIFE.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Keeper

Default Kobalt

I have a Lowes brand Kobalt 18V weedeater . Great tool.The only bad thing is the Lithium Ion battery just quits instead of slowing down when it needs charged .
Old 07-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

I'm working my hardest to get my cylinder count down. bought battery weed wacker, dewalt chainsaw for smaller stuff, still have a gas feller. Little 14" cutter runs over an hour/charge though, and the battery is interchangeable with the other dewalt tools. I love it.

I'd like to get a battery zero turn in the next 3-4 years. I'll let that technology develop a little.

best thing about cordless equipment, when the battery runs out, it's time for a beer.

Lithium ion jump starter has saved me multiple times out on the boat as i have a slow power drain in the battery.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

JF,
That is why, with Lithium tools that you use frequently, always have a spare battery on hand.

Lithium batteries are wonderful. They hold a charge very well. The voltage discharge curve is essentially flat so you have virtually the same power at the beginning of the charge as you do at the end.

But, if you need continuous use, you always need to have a spare battery fully charged to swap out when one goes dead.

As FF said, Rigid tools have a forever battery guarantee. If a battery goes bad, take it back to home depot and they will give you a new one, as long as you have registered the battery on line with rigid.

I will also agree that the Dewalt and the Milwaukee line of tools is really top notch. When you go into garages today, you find minimal uses of air impact tools - except in tire shops and the engine and internal mechanics have largely switches over to cordless equipment.

Be safe
Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Minnow

Went away from the Toro trimmer/Craftsman gas edger and went with a Black and Decker 20v trimmer/edger. Won't go back to gas for that yard tool as that thing rocks!

Still have the Ryobi leaf blower though and cant' see changing...
Old 07-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

I've had GREAT luck with Ryobi for everyday use, but if I didn't have so many batteries Rigid make the most sense now. Free batteries forever! I have better cordless commercial stuff too but for homeowner use the Home Depot Rigid and Ryobi are very good deals. Both are made by Milwaukee.