Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shimano Stradic 2500 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Slot Fish

There are so many good reels. I have several Stradics as well.

I also have a couple Penn reels which I like very much and those are in your price range too.

1900Tyee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 11:22 AM
Keeper

I had been a Shimano Stradic guy for years. I have one Sustain. Been buying Daiwa lately and don't think I'm turning back. I would suggest the Ballistic LT it can be found at $175 in you look around. I would rank it right with the not my Stradic's but the Sustain though lighter. Before Christmas I had found a Daiwa Luvias under $200 and the kids got one for me. By the time they pulled the trigger it was $218. I have spooled it & thrown it at my pond out on skim ice but have yet to fish it. I'm sure it's going to be my go to. A little heaver than my Balistics but way slicker than my Sustain.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:57 PM
Wallhanger

I love my stradics I own 4 of various gens. They are awesome reels and wouldnt hesitate to buy another. However in the future I'm going to be switching to pflueger presidents for most of my new combos to stretch my $. The Stardics performance is awesome but for most of my walleye fishing they are over kill. I can buy 4 presidents for 1 Stradic.
NPAA #409
Old 12-31-2018, 06:07 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECIRandy View Post
Yes they are but I only have approx. $ 200.00 to spend.
I love my stradics, but I would recommend that you consider buying two Daiwa bg's...best reels for the money...do some research! I really am impressed with them (the Stradic line is awesome too).
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Keeper

Thanks guys for all the responses. what are your thoughts on the Daiwa Tatula?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:08 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
I love my stradics, but I would recommend that you consider buying two Daiwa bg's...best reels for the money...do some research! I really am impressed with them (the Stradic line is awesome too).
This. Look up Alan Hawke review of the Daiwa BG. I bought one last year and used it a lot. You can buy online for under $100 from several places.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECIRandy View Post
Thanks guys for all the responses. what are your thoughts on the Daiwa Tatula?
Stradic Ci-4's were my go to reel until last year when a buddy convinced me to try the Tatula Lt. Love it, lighter than the ci-4, super smooth and a great drag. 40 bucks cheaper than ci-4 also. I see Cabelas currently has the 3000 size Daiwa Ballistic Lt's on sale for $179 (50 bucks off). They are the next model up from the Tatula and also lighter than a ci-4. The 3000 size is the same as the 2500 except with a bigger spool.
Ulterra 80 I-Link
Humminbird Helix 12 CHIRP SI G2N Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Bow
Minn Kota 12' Talon
Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Trajan View Post
Stradic Ci-4's were my go to reel until last year when a buddy convinced me to try the Tatula Lt. Love it, lighter than the ci-4, super smooth and a great drag. 40 bucks cheaper than ci-4 also. I see Cabelas currently has the 3000 size Daiwa Ballistic Lt's on sale for $179 (50 bucks off). They are the next model up from the Tatula and also lighter than a ci-4. The 3000 size is the same as the 2500 except with a bigger spool.
Thanks for the heads up on the Ballistic. I will see if my local Cabela's still have them.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Wallhanger

Stradic CI4 guy here. I've had just about all of them, including some of the previous version Shimano Sustains, and the new CI4 has become all I use. Best combination of technology, light weight and function for the price in my opinion, and they've never given me a moment of trouble. I'm prefer the 1000 size for my jigging and rigging rods, but I use the 2500s for anything where I'm casting or using heavier baits.

I was at a Shimano booth a few years back and they did a demonstration that sealed the deal for me. Attach a 2-3 lb weight to string with a loop in it, and then hang that loop off the spool of the reel. Turn the handle with no weight and then with the weight. The difference in the effort it takes to turn the handle when the weight is added on most reels is absolutely night and day, on the higher end Shimano reels, there was no change at all. Very eye opening to say the least.

Waxy
Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Stradic CI4 guy here. I've had just about all of them, including some of the previous version Shimano Sustains, and the new CI4 has become all I use. Best combination of technology, light weight and function for the price in my opinion, and they've never given me a moment of trouble. I'm prefer the 1000 size for my jigging and rigging rods, but I use the 2500s for anything where I'm casting or using heavier baits.

I was at a Shimano booth a few years back and they did a demonstration that sealed the deal for me. Attach a 2-3 lb weight to string with a loop in it, and then hang that loop off the spool of the reel. Turn the handle with no weight and then with the weight. The difference in the effort it takes to turn the handle when the weight is added on most reels is absolutely night and day, on the higher end Shimano reels, there was no change at all. Very eye opening to say the least.

Waxy

Thanks Waxy for the info. I've pretty much made my mind up that I'll be purchasing a Ci-4 in the 2500 size. Regards, Randy