Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pill Jigs... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 12-08-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Pill Jigs...

Just a thought....

Pour my own jigs and don't need or want to buy another mold. Looked over at the vise on the other workbench, looked back at a pile of unpainted new castings and presto... Pill jigs.

Pooch
Attached Images

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2020, 09:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Just a thought....

Pour my own jigs and don't need or want to buy another mold. Looked over at the vise on the other workbench, looked back at a pile of unpainted new castings and presto... Pill jigs.

Pooch
Been thinking of doing the same thing myself, nice work Pooch.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Pooch: I take it that you have a mold for "pill" jigs. How do you plan to use your pill jigs? The pill jigs remind me of live-bait style jigs, even though the live-bait style jigs do not have flat sides as pronounced as the pill jigs. I use a lot of live-bait style jigs, both with short and long shank hooks.

I made a pile of jigs last winter/spring with some new-to-me paint schemes. These jigs were never touched this season. I don't know how much jig making/painting will happen this upcoming off-season. I might just coast on what I have waiting to see the water for the first time.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2020, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

Pooch: I take it that you have a mold for "pill" jigs. How do you plan to use your pill jigs? The pill jigs remind me of live-bait style jigs, even though the live-bait style jigs do not have flat sides as pronounced as the pill jigs. I use a lot of live-bait style jigs, both with short and long shank hooks.

I made a pile of jigs last winter/spring with some new-to-me paint schemes. These jigs were never touched this season. I don't know how much jig making/painting will happen this upcoming off-season. I might just coast on what I have waiting to see the water for the first time.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
I doubt seriously that a pill jig will out fish anything else. Maybe has an advantage of a larger profile looking at it from the side. Might cut the water easier. Probably sink faster, but might spin. Might not disturb enough water to effect a fishes lateral line to "see" or "feel" the disturbance.

Just tried it out of curiosity. Seen them in stores, but couldn't see any big advantage to them.

Maybe you missed my point. I don't have a Pill jig mold, but I do have a small vice on one work bench in the basement that smashes a round head jig quite easily. Not gonna put much effort in this idea. Don't see the real value right now. Just a passing curiosity.

It's gonna be a long winter.....

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 12-11-2020, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Pooch: Yep, I missed the point. In fact, it didn't even slow down when it went by me! Somehow, reading your post caused me to picture Do-It's Aspirin Jig mold and I went down that path. Like you, I'm not sure how I would use an aspirin/pill jig as I don't know what it would do for me that other jig styles wouldn't do better or at least as well. That's why I asked the question.

I whole-heartedly agree that it's going to be a long winter - if it ever gets here. It was 53 degrees yesterday in NE Wisconsin.

Kindest regards...
Old 12-14-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I'll bet a dollar that everyone who has read this thread went to the basement and squeezed a jig to death...

Pooch

Old 12-14-2020, 02:37 PM
Keeper

Pill jigs are more effective in rivers with moderate current,it takes less weight to get down to business.I have flattened ball jigs for years when fishing the Miss river.I have found that less weight gets better hook-ups,and I simply won't use a stinger hook like those that fish heavy jigs.Tear drop style are also good,and the lighter ones can be tweaked to minimize current drag.I always use a size larger hook than mold suggests,I only fish with plastics and never minnows.

For the most part,I just don't like fishing heavy jigs and you miss a lot of cold water fish.And I refuse to use a stinger trailer,which usually just hangs up on sunken timber.