Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home made jigging raps - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Keeper

I looked at those also but I don't think the line tie end is long enough for me to be able to get it molded into the body securely enough. I would hate to have them pull out. I guess I will have to keep looking. Thanks for the feed back. Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

Can't you make your own from a piece of straight wire, such as used to make spinners. Cut to length and bend the eye to your specs using a jig or tools to form it? Shouldn't be that hard, but might have to dissect a jigging rap to get a pattern.

Last edited by grizzley; 11-09-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Keeper

I haven't tried to bend my own. The hangers on the jigging raps are extremely stiff, which they need to be, and I am reluctant to believe I could duplicate the bends they use and not just make a mess of it. I am sure there is a way to do it but I don't have the time, money, or patience for it. I would gladly buy them if they are even half way reasonably priced rather than spend my time trying to make them. I have bent allot of stainless wire making musky lures,leaders, and stinger buck tail jigs so I am familiar with the challenges involved doing so. If you are able to come up with an easy way to make them I would gladly listen and give it a try. At this point unless I can buy them I will stick with the way I am doing it. Thanks for the feed back. Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Keeper

Nice looking raps!

Could you mod these to work?
http://www.barlowstackle.com/WEY525-...lds-P3290.aspx

They are inserts for the new do it Herring mold.

Later
Joe
Old 11-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Man, these are nice looking baits! If you can make something that good looking, you surely should be able to bend some wire! I have good luck just using the pliers with the completely rounded jaws; I have 3-4 of them, various sizes, and seem to do OK with them. Again, nice job on the baits!

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Keeper

Default Thanks

Thanks for the compliments and ideas guys. I appreciate it. I may have to give bending the wire a try. I am just reluctant to believe I will be able to do a decent job of it. The inserts from Barlow's Tackle look to have some potential but I was hoping to find a one piece insert to use. These wouldn't offer a line tie. I see on Jann's Net Craft they offer a Fastach lure clip by Mustad that looks like it may work. I may order some to get a good look at them and see if it is what I want. I will let you know if they are the real deal. Thanks again for the interest. Rob
Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Slot Fish

Very nice looking jigs. I made a similar mold out of body filler but for every 6 i make, i have 1 that turns out. Would you mind sharing what you used for a mold? I'm looking to create a better one than what I have.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:21 AM
Keeper

I use the Hilts "exact replica" mold. It is a little spendy to get set up but works well for me. One thing you may want to look at if you haven't is putting a small channel in your mold for the displaced air to escape as you are pouring the lead in. I found that the molds air lock if you don't and I had issues filling the mold completely. Hopefully it will help solve your problem. Rob

Last edited by rdbalmer; 12-10-2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: added a little info
Old 12-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Question: Has anyone ever caught a fish on the nose hook, or is it just there for balance? Doesn't it foul the line on occasion?
Old 12-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by packpro View Post
Question: Has anyone ever caught a fish on the nose hook, or is it just there for balance? Doesn't it foul the line on occasion?
Some guys that ice fish either cut them off, or bend them almost closed to keep them from catching on the bottom edge of the hole.