Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is Minnkota Ulterra Worth Extra Cost... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-29-2020, 02:40 PM
Wallhanger

Default Is Minnkota Ulterra Worth Extra Cost...

...over the Terrova? I have read some reviews that it may be a bit fragile. Are these true? I guess I have been deploying my bow mount for 20 years and wasn’t really seeing a problem with it. Is there more to the Ulterra than deploying remotely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
...over the Terrova? I have read some reviews that it may be a bit fragile. Are these true? I guess I have been deploying my bow mount for 20 years and wasn’t really seeing a problem with it. Is there more to the Ulterra than deploying remotely?

I’ve been running the Ulterra
Now since 2017 and before that, like you, I had no problem manually deploying my trolling motor. Let me tell you that the Ulterra is a game changer. I fell in love with the auto deploy/stow feature first time out!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

I got my first bow mounted Minn Kota trolling motor sometime in the mid 1980s and last year I got a 112 lb. thrust 72" Ulterra. If it's up to me, I'll never go back to a trolling motor that I have to manually deploy. In my opinion, it's one of the best technological advances that I've experienced in my decades of fishing. I can't say enough good things about mine.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

I think the first couple years got the kinks out.( I have a 2018) On 3rd season and still smile every time I deploy or stow in 2 footers or better. Not a single issue. It is like having a crew to help me. I have had ipilot link for 7 years now, old and Bluetooth. Spotlock is amazing compared to old. Between the Lakemaster chip an HB unit I am in tall cotton. I am getting too old to dance with a TM on the bow of the boat in the wind. Bob
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

I was reminded of what a game-changer the ulterra was when I spent a day fishing with a friend who had a powerdrive. It was my job to stow and deploy the trolling motor. After running an ulterra or 3 years, I'll never go back to a manual operation trolling motor.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

Yes!
Old 06-29-2020, 06:48 PM
Keeper

Absolutely. I was running a terrova and upgraded to an ulterra this year. I fish a lot with my son who is younger and makes setting up so much easier. We were fishing this year in a tight area in 3 foot rollers and it was so nice to get the boat positioned from the outboard and just be able to deploy and anchor up. I was wanting to upgrade for the upgraded spot lock and really pleased I went with the ulterra.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSFEDER View Post
I’ve been running the Ulterra
Now since 2017 and before that, like you, I had no problem manually deploying my trolling motor. Let me tell you that the Ulterra is a game changer. I fell in love with the auto deploy/stow feature first time out!
I can see a use for the Ulterra, don’t get me wrong. I fish by myself a fair amount and can see that useful at those times.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
I think the first couple years got the kinks out.( I have a 2018) On 3rd season and still smile every time I deploy or stow in 2 footers or better. Not a single issue. It is like having a crew to help me. I have had ipilot link for 7 years now, old and Bluetooth. Spotlock is amazing compared to old. Between the Lakemaster chip an HB unit I am in tall cotton. I am getting too old to dance with a TM on the bow of the boat in the wind. Bob
Ok great. Thank you. I was hoping for reports like yours. I love the idea of it. Read some reviews and it didn’t seem durable. But the reviews were not from this year.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Slot Fish

You also get Power Trim on the Ulterra which is not on the Terrova. I think there may be a couple other subtle differences in the foot pedal and I know the remotes are different. The auto stow and deploy is the flagship feature for sure, but there are a few others.

My only experience - and it's limited at that - is with the Ulterra. I have the i-Pilot link tied to my Solix 10 on the console, and today I trolled all around never touching the remote once. I can deploy /stow steer, trim, etc. all from the Solix 10. Super happy. What tipped it for me was the fact that I've been fishing with my Dad for many years, but this was my first boat, and I have a wife and two kids to teach. Being able to have the auto deploy and stow to make my life easier was worth it - just one less trip up to the bow to deal with one more thing. Sure, it's a luxury, but my goal was to make our trips as relaxing as possible, and this was just one of the little things to help with that.