Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird ???? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
I know a Humminbird SI transducer's beam is a thin slice straight down, as you move along the returns paint the picture on your screen. The beam does not project out forward from the transducer, just down. If you have have it mounted on a trolling motor and sweep it side to side, you basically get a blurred mess. I would imagine a Lowrance sidescan transducer works the same.
Before 360 came out the bass guys were running there SI on the trolling motor swinging the motor back and forth, going slow the images were not too bad. You have to remember most bass guys run cable steer so much easier to control the rotation speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
Before 360 came out the bass guys were running there SI on the trolling motor swinging the motor back and forth, going slow the images were not too bad. You have to remember most bass guys run cable steer so much easier to control the rotation speed.
This is true, but I think you would still have to have the transducer moving forward through the water column. I don't think you could be sitting over structure rotating the trolling motor 340 degrees and get any kind of picture. Over on crappie.com there a couple fellows experimenting with SI transducers on pivots so that the beam is pointing forward or mounted horizontally on the side of the T/M shaft. It's over my head!

Last edited by Shellback; 02-19-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like the bottom line is, you need to buy both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Humminbird lowered their prices on the 360. $999 for the trolling motor model, and $1499 for the transom mount.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Humminbird lowered their prices on the 360. $999 for the trolling motor model, and $1499 for the transom mount.
I think that will help. Price was just way too high for an accessory IMHO. People seemed to be really intrigued with the 360 but not pulling the trigger from what I can tell. Much more chatter online recently for add-ons like the Talon than the 360. Will be interesting to see now if that changes with the lower price.

Now if they could figure out a away to add the trolling motor transducer to the Terrova, my wallet would be $999 lighter today!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Wallhanger

Default Comment

I have a LSS-1 transducer on my bow mount trolling motor and have used it for three years. Took some getting accustomed to but works very well. The LSS-1 is short enough and is mounted so I can still use the ducer in the motor.

As far as the HB 360 the comparison to radar is very accurate, worth the price well it will go down once the R&D costs are recouped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappieman View Post
I called Lowrance, the tech I spoke with states shellback was right it is forward and down and you have to turn the trolling motor for all the views. The tech says you can mark waypoints from the image just like sidescan. The tech said mounting my LSS2 would probably not work as well, said most trolling motors would not allow for such a large unit to be mounted, not too sure about that one.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Wallhanger

Check out Cabelas web site. the 360 is on sale for 999.00