Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Glendo Reservoir Info? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 08-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Keeper

Default Glendo Reservoir Info?

Planning a trip to Glendo 8.7.20. I have not fished it in over 35 years. I understand they have been dumping tons of water out of it for the silt run. Just looking for some tips to catch some eyes or crappie in the heat.

Looked at Cottonwood, Airport Island Bays, and around Goose Island. Thinking of hitting some main lake points, and focusing on finding baitfish suspended over deeper water, trolling cranks, or slabbing. I figured the fish will pull out to suspend over deep water with the drop in water level, and be chasing the shad blooms.

Anyone in that area have any current info? I appreciate all the help I can get.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 AM
Keeper

Default Glendo Results are in!!

Weather: HOT HOT HOT, 95-98 degrees, water temp 73-76. Wind was either dead calm or white caps, not so much in between.

2 of us fished Saturday am for about 3.5 hours. We started trolling cranks after finding fish suspended over 50'-70' of water. Caught 3 fish with largest being about 12".

Saw a few small fish caught by fisherman pulling BB's and harnesses. We went to the shallows and started throwing jigs from 6' to 15' of water and sorting through small fish to get to the keepers. Ended up with 8 legal walleye, largest being 18", some very nice 13-14" Black Crappie, and some small Catfish.

Saturday evening went out, focusing on main lake points and fairly shallow wind blown points. Caught 5 legal size Walleye, and about 40 short fish.

Sunday morning tried slabbing over 40' of water. Had good success with numbers of small Walleye, some Perch, and some Crappie.

We finished off the morning by slabbing in 6-12' of water, on the weed edges and it was a murderfest. I caught 9 legal Eyes on 9 casts before my streak was broken. I personally have never slabbed for Walleye in water less than 15', and never around weed beds. I will definitely try that again!. If you ticked a weed, or got hung up, just give it a rip and usually a vicious strike will follow!!

We fished Bennett Hill, Goose Island, Cottonwood Bay and Indian Point areas of the lake. The fish were everywhere, as long as you had the depth, bottom structure, and wind direction all in place.

Met some great people at the lake as well. Taught a couple how to catch fish slabbing, which they found to be awesome.

Hope that helps.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the report. I haven't fished Glendo for years. Nice to hear it still has some fish with the pressure it gets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Minnow

Default Slabbing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
Weather: HOT HOT HOT, 95-98 degrees, water temp 73-76. Wind was either dead calm or white caps, not so much in between.

2 of us fished Saturday am for about 3.5 hours. We started trolling cranks after finding fish suspended over 50'-70' of water. Caught 3 fish with largest being about 12".

Saw a few small fish caught by fisherman pulling BB's and harnesses. We went to the shallows and started throwing jigs from 6' to 15' of water and sorting through small fish to get to the keepers. Ended up with 8 legal walleye, largest being 18", some very nice 13-14" Black Crappie, and some small Catfish.

Saturday evening went out, focusing on main lake points and fairly shallow wind blown points. Caught 5 legal size Walleye, and about 40 short fish.

Sunday morning tried slabbing over 40' of water. Had good success with numbers of small Walleye, some Perch, and some Crappie.

We finished off the morning by slabbing in 6-12' of water, on the weed edges and it was a murderfest. I caught 9 legal Eyes on 9 casts before my streak was broken. I personally have never slabbed for Walleye in water less than 15', and never around weed beds. I will definitely try that again!. If you ticked a weed, or got hung up, just give it a rip and usually a vicious strike will follow!!

We fished Bennett Hill, Goose Island, Cottonwood Bay and Indian Point areas of the lake. The fish were everywhere, as long as you had the depth, bottom structure, and wind direction all in place.

Met some great people at the lake as well. Taught a couple how to catch fish slabbing, which they found to be awesome.

Hope that helps.

What did you use for slabbing?? That sounds fun!
Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehao View Post
What did you use for slabbing?? That sounds fun!
5/8 oz, Fire Tiger, and Chartreuse John Boy Jigging Slabs, with dual hooks. I fish them on 20/8 braid, with 18" of fluorocarbon #12 leader. I use a 7' medium heavy extra fast action rod, on a bait caster reel. Also caught them on Sebile Jigging spoons, 1/2 oz. If I am fishing really deep water, and late in the year, I will go with an even heavier slab.

I was taught this technique about 3 years ago, as an early Spring and Fall technique. I have modified my approach and use it Spring, Summer and Fall now. It is crazy, but I even use it on a more horizontal approach hitting shallow 3-18' depths during summer, as well as vertically fishing the deeper suspended summer time fish. About the only area I do not like to slab is flooded timber, just because I hate losing lures. I fish them on all other bottom structure though.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Old 08-28-2020, 07:23 PM
Keeper

Good to hear the walleye are plentiful and biting. Iíll be swinging by for a day or two in September. Been 15 years since I set a line there. Iíll be on shore, but will be hitting the areas around Red Hills and Bennett. Always used to do good there with jigs and perch shad raps.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:11 PM
Keeper

Yowza!!!
Just checked water levels and it seems like Glendo is back to being super low like it was a few years back. Will have a major effect on fish location and patterns.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...61b3cedb9b.jpg
Old 08-30-2020, 02:01 PM
Keeper

Might get interesting in a few weeks...
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:16 AM
Keeper

Below 23% full now.
Iíll be able to walk across it and grab fish by the tail at this rate.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...56cbe7c0ad.jpg
Old 09-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
Below 23% full now.
Iíll be able to walk across it and grab fish by the tail at this rate.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...56cbe7c0ad.jpg
I was looking at going up there next weekend as well.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)