Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
One must have on the boat question - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Keeper

I have a medium plano storage box velcroed to the top of my flat console on my tiller. The hinge faces the front of the boat so the wind keeps the lid shut it its not locked. I put lures, jigs, sinkers, blades etc in there. Kinda of a catch all for things I’ve taken off and may soon use again.

The other thing not so cheap is coolerwebs under all my lids. They are like quality cargo nets that come in different sizes and self sticky/vecro to the lids. All the small handy stuff goes in these. Tp, sunglasses, trolling motor remotes, first aid, micro cloth towel, cell phone charger etc. They almost eliminate digging in storage compartments for stuff thats buried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 01:46 AM
Wallhanger

In addition to most of the items mentioned, is a yard stick. I’ve always had a yard stick mounted somewhere in the boat. Except my last one, I called it my “optimistic yard stick “. It was 42 inches.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
My serious answer is one of the micro jump start units. They are able to start your boat (many times if needed) if you have a battery issue. Or if you have another engine issue where you drain the battery trying to get it started.

One of these can make the difference between turning around and going home, or fishing all day. It can mean driving back to the launch instead of trolling back.

We've all had that day when you turn the key and the juice isn't there. It's a horrible feeling. For $50-$60 this can save the day.
I have been planning to buy one of these for my boat after I ran my starting battery down with the monitors.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 06:31 AM
Wallhanger

Default Garbage Bags

I keep several large garbage bags on board. I've even got a couple in my tackle box. I use them to cover seats at night or in the rain. Even keeps the morning dew off. I also stick my tackle boxes in one if I leave them in the boat overnight or in an unexpected rain. They take up no space and solve lots of problems including clean-up.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

An extra set of truck keys in the boat and set of boat keys in the truck
Old 01-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

A dip all container:

I make a dip all container for many things in the boat.

First of all, it is made from an empty plastic 5 quart or gallon flat sided oil jug.

With the hande on one end and the screw on lid on the up side of the jug, I take a knife and cut the side off of the oil jug. I rinse it well with solvent - first to get rid of the oil and then soap and water to get rid of any remaining smell.

The dip all container is many things.
1. Pea bucket. Hold the container in one hand and then do your business. For the female riders, one just hold the handle discretly places it under your rain poncho, and let nature do its thing.

A quick rinse and it stores nicely away in a compartment.

2. Dip bucket. Makes a great dipping bucket quickly dipping up a gallon of water or stuff at a time.

3. Let your imagination reign for other uses as well.

4. The cost is effectively 0, since it is just the container from an oil change or an empty flat sided jug from another type. The main idea is that it is a flat sided container with the edge cut out, but all of the handle and cap remain intact for ease of use and ease of compact storate when not being used.

------------------------------------
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the gunnel of the boat when answering natures call, no matter the extensions or dexterity of the person. A lot of bodies have been recovered with their fly down and nature hanging as a result of being pitched overboard when a wave hits the boat when things are hung over the side.

Best wishes.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:28 AM
Minnow

This is one of the most useful threads for everyone. Thanks for all the great ideas. I have read them all and have taken note of several great ideas. I would like to add this. Until there is such a thing as self tying lures I would like to suggest a few pair of "cheaters " if not for yourself then for someone else. This could prevent you from missing that big one because you are doing someone else's work!!
36v Ulterra I pilot link
Minn Kota Deckhand
HB Helix10 CHIRP GPS G2N , 999ci hd si, 859ci hd
Old 01-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Keeper

I use the pew bat also. You get some strange looks but most people laugh really hard and then say why didn't I think of that.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM
Wallhanger

Short piece of doll rod in front and back of boat for pulling snags loose when using braid you do not want to pull on braid with a bare hand cuts like a knife learned the hard way more than once.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Keeper

I am surprised no one has mentioned a VHF radio, especially you great lakes guys. I think I am going to start a post on this.