Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you lie??? When you come in from a succsessful fishing trip and you buddies see in your livewell and ask...How,where,what on,how deep,when?? What do you do? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Do you lie??? When you come in from a succsessful fishing trip and you buddies see in your livewell and ask...How,where,what on,how deep,when?? What do you do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2002, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

Default nothing but the truth

I have found that it's always best to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. More often than not,people that don't know me well, figure that I'm lying and go out to do their own thing anyhow. Those that know me, appreciate the info, but that does't mean they'll catch fish the same way. As everyone knows, it doesn't take much in a presentation (line weight, bait, color, speed, etc.) to vary the results. I think it's all our jobs to educate as many fisher people as possible. I know that I like help once in awhile (often ??)
Old 10-23-2002, 06:39 AM
StEhle

Default Truth

I tell the truth. Honest, that walleye was at least 28" long. My brother, on the other hand, will tell a lie and say that it was only 23" long. He will also lie about how he handled the net and that it was actually my fault the fish got off. Well, I did pressure him a little prior to the landing. I said "Whatever you do, don't f$%# this up." So I suppose I deserved it. At least, that is what he'll lie about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2002, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: nothing but the truth

I tell the truth except to those I know are lying to me. I like to see people do well so if I can tell them something that might help them I will. We had a group that stayed in the cabin next to us in Canada for years. They would always tell us a story on what they were catching and where. They would tell us they were hammering them at a certain spot and that is where we fishing and we did not see them all day. When they asked us for info we would play there game with them. We ended up with a saying on slow days that "The fishing was so bad, even the liars aren't catching any."
Old 10-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Wallhanger

Default ROON-EYE

I like to tell folks that that "those big females have no business on the sidelines" and that's why you'll see none in my livewell!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:08 AM
bago eye

Default RE: ROON-EYE

I have developed a negative attitude on this one over the last few years. I have watched bago's fishery improve greatly over the last couple years due to a variety of factors including educated fisherpeople releasing larger fish. Over 20" in my boat. Unfortunately I have witnessed a lot of people keeping large fish, crowding in on others, etc. etc. I understand that if it is within the regs they have done nothing wrong. On the flip side of the coin I certainly am not going to give out information for people to hoan in and rape the hot spot. As much as I fish I call it my way of preserving the future of the fishery. I know I myself won't have a huge impact but word of mouth travels fast especially in the fishing world.
Technically I don't lie. If they ask how many fish I got I'll tell them. If they ask where, I give a general statement. In the mud, on the rocks, etc.etc. I never give away any specific location though.
Some people would keep 5 25"ers and butcher them when they get home. Thankfully this was actually a possibility for a few days this year. I certainly wouldn't tell the dude at the launch where though. He or she can do the homework just like I did or put their time in. Selfish? Maybe. But I am also not breaking any laws by keeping my mouth shut.
Isn't it fun once in a while to show off your fish and send them in the exact opposite direction. I would never do that! HE HE HE.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Carp

Default Truth

Coming from an area where lakes are not that big.. of course I lie! And keep my mouth shut only telling close friends when the eyes are biting. Especially ice fishing.
Last year we found a shallow bay that the eyes were feeding in. This bay was only 200 yrds by 300 yrds. Somehow the word got out and approx. 60-70 shacks found their way over there. Needless to say the bite was instantly gone!

Just my 2 cents

Old 10-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Marbli

Default RE: Truth

I lie. Truth is that way too many Walleye Fisherman keep way too many fish. 14" eaters are the way to go, not the reproducers!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

You seem to fail to remember that I landed one of your fish that was not even hooked. Seems to me that would make a person greatful to the net handler.
If I remember right it was I who verified the size of your fish in the presence of others in the fishing party including our father.

Your favorite older brother.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:10 PM
Wallhanger

I was getting back to fishin',back in the 80's,and my pal was one to alway's give a line of bull about our success on the water. Actually,this was a heavy thing to me. I alway's told the truth,and even to exaderate on a fishing trip,and say we caught some,when we didn't,wasn't me. I think it's important to keep the truth-in the forefront.Needless to say,we don't fish together anymore.He was just too different,from me.Being afraid to say when we fail,is a character flaw,a very deep one.