Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Underwater cameras in the summer - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Taterguy View Post
Do you remember the model or perhaps how long ago?

I'm seriously looking at the Aqua Vu micro Revolution Pro 5.0. Maybe they have gotten better?

I like the 5.0 Pro because of the water temp and direction. Last year was the first time on a lake with lake trout. We didn't have anyway of telling water temp or how deep it was to that zone. I'll mainly use if for hard water but using in open water intrigues me.
I don't remember model, but it was about 10 years ago. I'm sure that they have improved some. I have Humminbird, so can't use the video in that other units have.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

I have the Marcum 825SD daylight viewable is a joke since I run Hbirds I am always on the prowl for a Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 cheap as they have the video in if I can find one I know I will use my camera more.

I have taken mine and checked around cribs amazing to see the number of big fish Northerns, Musky, Walleye that like to lie right tight to the crib.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Is there some kind of adapter to use a live view camera like aquaview with a garmin head unit?
Old 03-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=tandm;641588
A telescoping pole connected to the camera is a great idea. It would enhance stability of the camera and make scanning much easier. I am going to look into a telescoping cane or surf fishing pole. .[/QUOTE]

Found a pole that might work, sitting in the corner of my garage. It is a telescoping light bulb changing pole from Menards, telescopes from 4' to 16'. Now I just need to fasten the camera, Velcro strips, maybe, and devise a holder for the pole.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post
Found a pole that might work, sitting in the corner of my garage. It is a telescoping light bulb changing pole from Menards, telescopes from 4' to 16'. Now I just need to fasten the camera, Velcro strips, maybe, and devise a holder for the pole.
Report your successes please. I think this is a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
Is there some kind of adapter to use a live view camera like aquaview with a garmin head unit?
You would have to find out if Garmin has a video in port the only one I know of now is some of the Lowrances.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:47 PM
Wallhanger

I use AquaVu Micro 5 with DVR 2014 vintage. It's now pretty dated with 480p (DVD) resolution.

Standalone unit and it may have an RF output but not compatible with today's sonar unit technology.

The image is decent with enough lighting. The biggest issue is controlling the camera. The camera lens is mounted in an angle bracket that can use a weighted sinker. The bracket does sway quite a bit when there is motion which can be disturbing when watching the video. No control on direction or pointing the lens.

The viewing screen has limited brightness in daylight and screen also has considerable amount of glare.

I have attached a few screen shots that provide a sense of what the clarity and resolution is on this standard def camera.

The camera cable is a pita since it spools on the back of the unit. Pretty cool for what it did in the day but I would want 1080p camera today.

Anyway a diversion from the beer flu. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803.1216.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	317008   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803.1217.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	317010   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150808.1552.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	317014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811.1018.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	317016   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811.0933.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	317018  

Old 03-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Slot Fish

Hi, I have a Marcum VS825SD and back in the summers of 2013 and 2014 used a lot to check out areas on Mille Lacs as I was just starting to fish this lake a lot. I would locate a spot of interest with 1198 SI and then come back and look at with camera. Worked okay if moving 2MPH or under. If moving at about 2MPH the camera would pretty much stay facing the direction being moved. Found some interesting spots to fish. Not all rock piles hold fish. From what I saw, the small mouth hold very tight to the bottom and rocks while the walleyes were always a couple of feet off the bottom. Difficulty is in the rocks and the changes of depth. Always needing to pull up very quickly. Didn't take long to scratch the camera.

Then I updated to Helix 12 G2N and with improved SI, didn't see the value in the camera, other than to drop down on a known spot with fish and not being able to catch. Interesting to throw a bunch of different baits and watch their reactions. Smallmouth are very curious, walleye not so much.

It was also just fun to go exploring to check out the different bottom structures and also the occasional anchor, etc.

I have more time now, I think I'll go exploring again the summer.