Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pyrodex or Triple7; which one is better? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Pipestone Angler

Default Pyrodex or Triple7; which one is better?

I'm new to huntin' with a coal burner. Which pellets do you prefer and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Steve B

Default RE: Pyrodex or Triple7; which one is better?

I've used Pyrodex for nine years. Last year I switched to Triple Seven. I can't tell a big difference in performance while shooting, but the clean up is a lot easier. I'll keep using it.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Papascott

I noticed the other day that on the triple7 pellets it says for use with 209 primers only. Has anyone tried it with a musket cap or even a #11. I love my T-bolt but it is a pain to clean.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Slot Fish

I will also second the cleaning being easier but I went from black powder to the tripple 7 so anything would be an improvement. I'd say it cut cleaning time in half for me.

abens1078
Old 10-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Triple 7, for several reasons.

With the pellets I don't have to measure volume. No corrosion eating salts so I don't have to scrub everything down with hot water and soap to remove. NO rotten egg smell.

I don't need to use solvent to remove fouling from the barrel when I am bench shooting. Using a socket and ratchet, Pull Breach plug and ream out with warm water on a patch.

I was given an Omega last spring, All I shoot out of it is triple 7 pellets and the Hornady SST /sabot & Bullet. Wow what accuracy. With a 3x9 40 mm scope. Consistant 1/2 inch group at 100 yards.

I also have a Knight BK92. I have had that since 92. Always used Pyrodex and Sabots with 240 grain bullets.

It' for sale. :)
Old 10-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Steve B

I had a BK92 also. I gave it to the guy that lets me hunt his farm last year, and replaced it with the Knight Disc Extreme. If you haven't tried the PowerBelt bullets yet, you might want to give them a try. No sabots to mess with, and they go down the barrel very easily. My accuracy improved with them, also.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Wallhanger

Last year I bought a Winchester Apex 50 cal. and started with the 50 grain pellets pyrodex and triple seven using 295 gr powerbelts. With 2 pellets the gun would only group somewhere around 4" @ 100 yds. Since I got the gun a couple days before the season came in I just limited my shots to around 50 yds. This summer I purchased a can of triple seven in its loose form and after a little time on the range I got the groups tightened down to 1 1/2". Remember one pellet is equal to 50 grains of black powder even though they only weigh around 35 grains, my apex grouped the best with 80 grains. If your lucky enough to get a gun that shoots well with 2 or 3 pellets great, if not you still have the option of working up a load with the loose powder which is cheaper in the long run. The triple seven left less residue in the barrel between shots and the bullets were somewhat easier to load so 777 would get my vote.