Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Galvanized versus aluminum trailer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-01-2019, 05:50 AM
Wallhanger

Default Galvanized versus aluminum trailer

My friend and I were talking about next boats and the topic of trailers came up.
We previously owned a painted trailer - never again!

Ideally the trailer we buy would be constructed of either galvanized steel or aluminum.
Dual axle / brakes / swing tongue, LED lights / etc.
Any suggestions or experiences on the use of these 2 materials for a trailer.
Our internet searches would have me think that aluminum trailers are primarily for salt water.
Thanks

Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Some years ago I was getting ready to pull my boat out of Lake Michigan. The guy ahead of me had an aluminium trailer. Not all the ends were open, some were sealed, why I have no idea. Any way when he backed the trailer in the dang thing floated. This was his first time with this trailer and he was dumfounded. The only thing we could think of, with the four tires and some of the frame sealed it was too light. We helped him get his boat on, but I don't know what he did about it.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyreprich View Post
My friend and I were talking about next boats and the topic of trailers came up.
We previously owned a painted trailer - never again!

Ideally the trailer we buy would be constructed of either galvanized steel or aluminum.
Dual axle / brakes / swing tongue, LED lights / etc.
Any suggestions or experiences on the use of these 2 materials for a trailer.
Our internet searches would have me think that aluminum trailers are primarily for salt water.
Thanks
Each of the 6 times I launched and retrieved my boat in saltwater, I paid about $200 round trip to have my boat hauled, so in retrospect I should have bought an aluminum trailer. If a painted steel trailer is dunked in sea water one time, it will never be the same.

While aluminum is the prominent trailer material in salt water areas, the reasons are valid if you never leave freshwater. I would go with aluminum over galvanized because galvanized eventually rusts; and aluminum is much lighter an advantage you will experience every time you tow.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Each of the 6 times I launched and retrieved my boat in saltwater, I paid about $200 round trip to have my boat hauled, so in retrospect I should have bought an aluminum trailer. If a painted steel trailer is dunked in sea water one time, it will never be the same.

While aluminum is the prominent trailer material in salt water areas, the reasons are valid if you never leave freshwater. I would go with aluminum over galvanized because galvanized eventually rusts; and aluminum is much lighter an advantage you will experience every time you tow.
If a galvanized trailer is fabricated properly for galvanizing you will never see rust in your lifetime or your childrenís. This is fact. I am in the galvanizing business and if done properly there should never be any rust.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Just to clarify I am talking about HDG, not chain link fence, grain bin stuff.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentfrank View Post
If a galvanized trailer is fabricated properly for galvanizing you will never see rust in your lifetime or your children’s. This is fact. I am in the galvanizing business and if done properly there should never be any rust.
I Agree!
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed
2020 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 2.7 ECO
Old 09-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Wallhanger

I agree in principle. However go to a saltwater ramp and look at the old galvanized trailers and many of them are rusted.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default Galvanized versus aluminum trailer

Appreciate the responses guys - thank you all!
I'll retire in the next few years and will start to travel & fish far more than I do now.
Doubt I'll ever take my boat to any salt water areas.
Still the aluminum trailer interests me.

Would the aluminum trailer cost a "lot" more than a galvanized trailer - all features being about the same?
I live in Illinois now and I just dont see that many aluminum boat trailers. Any manufacturers I should check out?
Old 09-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Wallhanger

Sea lion makes both aluminum and galvanized. I have a 2002 galvanized trailer and it looks great and performs excellent.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyreprich View Post
Appreciate the responses guys - thank you all!
I'll retire in the next few years and will start to travel & fish far more than I do now.
Doubt I'll ever take my boat to any salt water areas.
Still the aluminum trailer interests me.

Would the aluminum trailer cost a "lot" more than a galvanized trailer - all features being about the same?
I live in Illinois now and I just dont see that many aluminum boat trailers. Any manufacturers I should check out?
Both galvanized and aluminum trailer cost a little more than painted steel, but are about the same cost. It may be harder to find aluminum trailers deep in the freshwater region, though.

I wish I got an aluminum trailer. After I retired I towed a lot more and spent a lot of time on saltwater. This is something that I didnít predict, but in retirement everything changes. The other detail worth noting is when I updated my electric motor to get ipilot and spot lock, I bought a Riptide model warranted for saltwater use. They only cost a hundred dollars more so: why not? Iím glad I did.