Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shot at on Lake Erie! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Shot at on Lake Erie!

OK! OK! I know that thread title may have been a little too sensational, but let me explain. My buddy and I launched out of Huron Saturday to do a bit of fishing (big mistake with the chocolate water((anyone remember YooHoo?)) but that's another story). We we trolling close to Cranberry Creek and way ahead thought he saw a huge splash and something jump out of the water. My thoughts were he was losing it and needed his medications adjusted. Then we noticed what looked like a Coastguard boat running tight circles in a small area. We thought they might be doing a search and rescue of some sort, but none of it made sense. We continued trolling toward that area, when suddenly the Coastguard boat turned and made a bee line to us. They politely asked us to pick up and move at least another 1/2 mile to the north away from shore. They explained that an organization was shooting pumpkins from a cannon out into the lake and we were close to being in range. I felt sorry for the seagulls that were diving down and eating the exploded pumpkin pulp and seeds only to have another salvo land and scare the bejeebers out of them. Well....that was the highlight of my fishing day. The waves were fishable but the water color was not. Another unique experience on Lake Erie.

Dogs....Do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not.
There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith.
~ Eugene O'Neill ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Weird.......I wouldn't think the USCG would be involved in something like that.

Of course, if George Uhl was on board, then it all makes a lot of sense.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
OK! OK! I know that thread title may have been a little too sensational, but let me explain. My buddy and I launched out of Huron Saturday to do a bit of fishing (big mistake with the chocolate water((anyone remember YooHoo?)) but that's another story). We we trolling close to Cranberry Creek and way ahead thought he saw a huge splash and something jump out of the water. My thoughts were he was losing it and needed his medications adjusted. Then we noticed what looked like a Coastguard boat running tight circles in a small area. We thought they might be doing a search and rescue of some sort, but none of it made sense. We continued trolling toward that area, when suddenly the Coastguard boat turned and made a bee line to us. They politely asked us to pick up and move at least another 1/2 mile to the north away from shore. They explained that an organization was shooting pumpkins from a cannon out into the lake and we were close to being in range. I felt sorry for the seagulls that were diving down and eating the exploded pumpkin pulp and seeds only to have another salvo land and scare the bejeebers out of them. Well....that was the highlight of my fishing day. The waves were fishable but the water color was not. Another unique experience on Lake Erie.
This is very strange...! I can't believe the coastguard would be involved with something like this in the non shooting area of Erie. If they were that is unblievable as someone including yourself could have been killed. There story doesn't sound right to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

I believe it. I don't know if "punkin chuckin" is common every where but in central illinois it is very popular around halloween. It's a big deal with competitors from all over the country showing up to see who can throw a pumpkin the farthest. I think they approach a mile in distance. No gun powder is used. They utilize home made machines that use steam, compressed air and physics. One item is a catapult from ancient times called a 'trebuchet'.

At any rate you can say they "shoot" the pumpkins but no gun powder is utilized.

Jack
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Minnow

Funny you say that kool, I was over in that area saturday too wondering what they were doing hanging out so close to shore, they never approached us though!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 AM
Wallhanger

"Hello, Ranger Boats, how can I help you?"

"Hi ma'am, I have a warranty question."

"Sure, I can help you with that. What is your question?"

"Well....ummmm.... does the warranty cover damage done by flying pumpkins?"

"Pumpkins, sir? Very funny. It's not April Fools you know."

"No really, we were just trolling along, and outta nowhere came about a 14 pounder that did some severe damage to the transom on the port side."

"Sir, Ranger boats have been extensively tested to withstand 22 pound pumpkin impacts. Are you sure you just didn't back into the dock post?

"Dangit. You guys are good."

Last edited by Hawker; 11-05-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I was driving through Huron and saw a "chunker" setting along side the road. I was tempted to do a U turn for an up close but it was raining and during the gale. Never seen one in person before.

It was one of the smaller ones and black.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

Seriously? Coast Guard playing a role in littering the Lake?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojmj View Post
Seriously? Coast Guard playing a role in littering the Lake?
Not so sure, if seagulls were eating the stuff, maybe they were just feeding the wildlife?

Seem them pumkin tossers on TV a couple times, pretty impressive stuff.

Al
Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

I have no idea what role the Coastguard played in the punkin chunkin. Perhaps another angler phoned in a complaint and they came to investigate, or maybe they were forward observers participating in the distance scoring....I don't know. Like I said, they politely told us to move out of range so we picked up our planers and left the area completely. Maybe some Huronites will chime in and let us know. It could be a Halloween festival tradition for all I know.

Dogs....Do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not.
There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith.
~ Eugene O'Neill ~