Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
From the "Wayback" machine - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-29-2020, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

I have been a life time subscriber to iIn Fisherman since the early 80`s once I have read them I give them to my nephew. I have many of the In Fisherman books that I am always going back and rereading them. Most things have not changed when it comes to fish behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Wallhanger

I remember as a wee lad when "Lindy rigs" first came out. And little joe did not own them. I do remember a paper in fisherman or something. It was before any magazine. Ahh the 60s.

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

I have a stack of old fishing magazines from when i was a teenager. basically from the 90's. bassin, crappie, walleye insider, in fisherman. these things are in tatters from me pouring over them time and time again.

one day i found a bunch of 90's commericials that were on TNN on saturday mornings on youtube.

I could watch these all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqEj00KpsM
Old 01-31-2021, 02:32 PM
Keeper

The walleye in-sider was the folded tabloid type publication when it first started in the early ‘90’s. Then it went to magazine form. I subscribed and read every single issue front to back. I still read the late ‘80’s and all the ‘90’s In-Fisherman mags and rewatch their videos. Great information that’s just as good now as it was then. And definitely wasn’t about needing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment.
Just basic fish+location+presentation=success knowledge sharing! Some things WERE better back then before the interwebs.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Just another thought re: The old magazines. Growing up, my favorite magazine was Sports Afield. Robert Page Lincoln was one writer who explored much in the Northwoods, and his stories were always interesting and maybe a bit exaggerated. My favorite Fishing Editor was a fellow by the name of Jason Lucas. Jason shared a lot of fishing wisdom with his readers and besides writing a number of articles also, as was common practice for the day, answered questions sent in( how time changed with the internet). He once decided to fish every day for a year, and accomplished same, funny how we remember some things forever.

Jason's articles shared techniques and where-to's, but in describing them, he never mentioned any commercial baits by name, which he was using, preferring to simply state, for example, " a red and white wooden plug which ran fairly shallow". Again, how fishing journalism has changed, it being impossible to read an article without the frequently capitalized words bulls-eyeing particular brands which you cannot possibly fish without.

Bill
Old 02-02-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Default I've said it here on WC many times...

Back in my youth Jason Lucas was a God! First page turned to when a new issue of Sports Afield arrived in the mailbox.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 02-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
The walleye in-sider was the folded tabloid type publication when it first started in the early ‘90’s. Then it went to magazine form. I subscribed and read every single issue front to back. I still read the late ‘80’s and all the ‘90’s In-Fisherman mags and rewatch their videos. Great information that’s just as good now as it was then. And definitely wasn’t about needing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment.
Just basic fish+location+presentation=success knowledge sharing! Some things WERE better back then before the interwebs.
I am still looking for a recipe from Walleye Insider for baked Walleye that had a sauce you had to prepare. Had to be from late 99? I do not have the magazine any longer and have looked for years to try to find it. No luck....
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Old 02-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
I am still looking for a recipe from Walleye Insider for baked Walleye that had a sauce you had to prepare. Had to be from late 99? I do not have the magazine any longer and have looked for years to try to find it. No luck....

I don’t have any more of the insiders, but I’ll check the mags and see if I can find it.