Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
VHS to DVD convert - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Default VHS to DVD convert

OK, I admit defeat, after three different programs and 4 or 5 additional ones to make a VHS to DVD play in my computer I give up.

Is there anybody who's familiar with this process and can help me??

So far I've used as a Player VLC and to convert I've used MiniTool Maker, Golden Video's, VHS2DVD Wizard, OBS Studio and probably a few other I gave up on.

Anybody??

Why is it when you need a 13 year old kid to explain all this, there's never one around?

Be nice if there was a one does all program.
TIA

Al...who has a lot of coasters if anybody needs a few.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:36 AM
Wallhanger

I myself will likely not have a solution, but in the interest of finding someone here that might, you need to tell us more. How is it failing? During The conversion process? During the DVD playback ? How? Also are you trying to convert home made VHS recordings or commercial made VHS movies?

Most of the commercial movies had a copy protect on them that made duplication difficult unless you had some sort of copy defeat process. I'm not familiar enough with these conversion programs so I don't know if any have copy protect defeat built in.

Hopefully if you give more info on how it fails, someone can then help.
-
Old 04-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

Was hoping to find someone first as it's a bit lengthy, but basics are..

Home movies, no copyright.

I bring up Golden Video’s
Click on New Recordings
It shows,
Video Device AV TO USB2 / left “Settings” default / “Format” NTSC
“Manual” Unchecked and next to that, 720 X 480, 30.00 fps, YUY2
“Capture Sound”, is checked
“Sound Record Device” Microphone (AV TO USB2.0)

Click Next.

“Filters” None / “Brightness” / 30 “Contrast” / 0 “Gamma” / 1.00

Clicked Next.

“Which format would you like to record to” I choose File “File Type / avi
I have tried several formats including Mp4
Clicked Next.

“End of Video Option”
Here I’ve tried several different settings, with no luck, but the last one was.
“Video Duration” I know the duration of my video and set for 180 minutes
I didn’t, but just trying to get it to work, I made a short section of video, about 5 minutes long and stopped there.

I left “End of Video Detection” blank

Clicked Next.

“Capture Process”
Here I turned the VHS on and clicked “Record”
I then recorded about 5 minutes of video.
The “When recording Finishes Automatically” “Shut down the computer” was Unchecked and” Play
Sound was checked.

Clicked Next.

Then the “This PC > Videos” page came up and File Name was in the File Name box, and I clicked “Save”

Box came up that said, “Your File was successfully saved: C:\Users\awill\Videos\My Videos.avi
I clicked “OK” then.

New screen can up asked me several things and was titled, “Recording Complete / What would you like to do?
Then it listed, Preview Video & Burn to DVD & Save Video as file & Upload to You Tube & etc
I clicked on “Save Video as File”

We ended up back at the “This PC > Videos” page and “Video” in the File Name.
I clicked “Save”
Then I got a box that said, “A copy of your file was successfully saved: C:\Users\awill\Videos\videos.avi
And I clicked “OK”

When done editing and exporting, I go to the video file in my comp, insert a DVD, then send video file to Drive D/Burner.
Click whatever needs to start burning and when done, I brought up VLC.
Try to play DVD and then get an error.

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL ' dvd///D:/,
Check log for details.

That's the high points if it helps.

Al

Last edited by AllenW; 04-21-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

A couple years ago, I wanted to do the same conversion. I bought a ClearClick video2digital device. It hooks into your VCR and records onto an SD memory card. You can then download the card to your computer, then burn a dvd. The unit itself is about the size of 2 audio cassettes stacked on top of one another. Does a very nice job, easily.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

It has been several years since I converted my VHS format vids to digital. I purchased a conversion device from Best Buy which worked seamlessly. I just asked them what I needed to convert and they had the answer. I skipped the DVD copy and saved them on the hard drive and now on the cloud. Having the copies on the hard drive makes for easy viewing and sharing.

Last edited by Baseline; 04-21-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoktr View Post
A couple years ago, I wanted to do the same conversion. I bought a ClearClick video2digital device. It hooks into your VCR and records onto an SD memory card. You can then download the card to your computer, then burn a dvd. The unit itself is about the size of 2 audio cassettes stacked on top of one another. Does a very nice job, easily.
I have the device that goes between the VHS player and my USB port if that's what you mean.
I get OSB to make a file that my win 10 movies and TV will play off the DVD, but it won't play through the VLC player.

Baseline, I can get it to record on the DVD but not play through VLC, not sure I'm ready for Best Buy quite yet.

Al
Old 04-21-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
I have the device that goes between the VHS player and my USB port if that's what you mean.
I get OSB to make a file that my win 10 movies and TV will play off the DVD, but it won't play through the VLC player.

Baseline, I can get it to record on the DVD but not play through VLC, not sure I'm ready for Best Buy quite yet.

Al
No. Mine hooks right to the VCR. It actually has a small screen that you could watch the video on as it’s being recorded to the SD card in the unit. This is all done without a computer. If your television can play an SD card, you could view it without writing a DVD.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Allen,
In a word - don't.

i.e.
Even if you spend the time and effort to convert some media from one format to another format - to what end?

i.e. what are you going to do with the media that you now have on a different format?

Are you going to look at 20 seconds of the media and then store it away and never look at it again.

---------------------
The reason that I ask the questions because of the billions and billions of photos that are taken every year around the world - it is likely that no more than 5% of the photos are ever looked at - after being taken and likely less than 1% of the photo's ever had anything significantly done with them.

i.e. the photos simply die a media death on a phone when a phone gets replaced by a new model.

Waste? Of course. But that is today's society.

Take care
Old 04-22-2021, 08:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Allen,
In a word - don't.

i.e.
Even if you spend the time and effort to convert some media from one format to another format - to what end?

i.e. what are you going to do with the media that you now have on a different format?

Are you going to look at 20 seconds of the media and then store it away and never look at it again.

---------------------
The reason that I ask the questions because of the billions and billions of photos that are taken every year around the world - it is likely that no more than 5% of the photos are ever looked at - after being taken and likely less than 1% of the photo's ever had anything significantly done with them.

i.e. the photos simply die a media death on a phone when a phone gets replaced by a new model.

Waste? Of course. But that is today's society.

Take care

Ya, but I like wasting our resources and cluttering up our closets with stuff we'll never look at.

Actually some of it's technical help stuff for our RC flying club and the copies will go to new members to help them crash and burn their way to flying nirvana

Also I have a lot of Motorcycle drag racing tapes with several of the guys I raced with and they would like a copy.

Besides the way the country is going now, who gives a .....

Al
Old 04-22-2021, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

https://legacybox.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQj...QaAtyiEALw_wcB

https://www.homevideostudio.com/363/...ion-to-dvd.cfm