Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing Tackle Sales Rep-Good Career? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2003, 11:35 AM
MNGOPHER

Default Fishing Tackle Sales Rep-Good Career?

What would it be like to be a rep for Rapala, Shimano, Lowrance or somthing like that? Currently I represent a business for a totally different industry. Basically, I am just interested in what it would be like. How much travel, pay, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2003, 11:41 AM
manhole man

Default RE: Fishing Tackle Sales Rep-Good Career?

I am also interested in sales or purchasing for one this type of company. I sell manhole covers, but would rather be selling fishing or boating equipment.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Keeper

I think you'd find yourself with some great sample merch, but not much income. Typically sales to retail establishments is a fight for shelf space, and not a high income career. But I suppose it depends on how much you need or want to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Fuzzy

And you burn through vehicles quickly driving all over the sales territory staying in front of store owners. You might want to think about inventing and patenting a lure or fishing device that has never been invented and no fisherman can live without. Then build it cheaply and sell it for a high price. I think you would be wealthy unless you squander everything on booze and loose women...so maybe its not such a good idea.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

W.C. Fields said it best; "I spent most of my money on women, liquor and gambling...the rest I wasted".
Old 05-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Fuzzy

;)
Old 05-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Stone Fly

Not to mention that you have to work a fair number of weekends and holidays doing shows, promotions, and fishing events. It may sound good initially, but sure can cut into the family life.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Keeper

I am a rep for a fishing equipment company. Without getting into details, the pay is average, the travel is high, and many people find that they liked fishing more before they entered the industry. The biggest thing is that the margins are very tight in this industry. Everybody gets their product knocked off and there is no bottom to the price in China. Long story short, the industry sounds really cool but from someone who has been doing it for 7 years it isn't all its cracked up to be. just another job. I do have lots of equipment though. not only ours but other reps stuff that you meet.

Keep fishing as a hobby, you will probably have more money in the end.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Dave,

I make games for a living... hehe, I play games for a living... but like you said, it isn't everything people think it is. It is hard and ugly deadlines, 24 hour days, working over holidays if needed, sitting in front of a computer for 10-15 hours and not realizing you didnt even pee yet today... etc.

...on the PLUS side, I did spend two Tuesdays ago at the Playboy Mansion in LA :) ... yep... and I did get to deer and turkey hunt with Jackie Bushman in 'Bama, and I did get to fish on Okeechobee in Jan with David Walker (on wheaties box a few years ago) and then have dinner with some bass pros (including Ted Capra, what a cool guy!) and I've been to a few SHOT shows (cool hunting industry shows!!!). The coolest ever is I got to expense a .270 and Nikon scope :) I love telling me buddies that one!

so everything has its ups and downs, but really, a job is a job and one is not necessarily worse or better than another. 9 to 5 guys always have weekends off - I have spent several openers working a booth in LA... man, did that stick...

-Box

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Sales Guy

Being in the industry is not all that its cracked up to be. The pay is very average, they don't have to pay much when everybody and his brother wants your job. They think its a dream come true to turn your favorite hobby into a profession. Trust me, your favorite hobby will soon turn into your biggest nightmare. When you talk it all week long, you just want to get away from it on the weekend. Provided your not giving your weekend up to work a show somewhere! Travel is extensive, plan on going through a new vehicle every year not to mention the depreciation of your high mile trade in. It's also a strain on your family life and relationship. It would be an OK job for a single kid just out of college. You have to buy your samples, granted you get a deal but you need to sell them to recover your investment. There is some prestiege and you will be the envy of your buddies, thats about it. My advice, keep your passion and your business seperate and enjoy the things you love.