Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question- iPilot Link Remote - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-30-2021, 10:50 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
I've done the same thing with mine, i try and use the Helix controls as much as possible instead of the remote, the touch screen is too sensitive in my opininon.
Agree with all above. Plus, I don’t like the remote “swinging” from my neck when trying to do most anything. I did buy a bracket I can use with a small RAM mount & Lund track system. Will try this next time out.
2019 HB Helix 10 MDI+ G3N, Bow-mount
2020 MK Ulterra 112 lb. MDI, 36V, iPilot Link, Bow-mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I've done the same thing accidently with my i-Pilot Link remote more than once. I absolutely love i-Pilot Link and trolling contours with the "follow the contour" feature but I'm not a big fan of the remote design. I find that it's very easy to accidently press an icon on the remote, turn on a feature that I didn't intend to turn on and not realize it until my trolling motor isn't acting how it should as Lakefront describes with Cruise Control.
KPKyllo- How & when do you use the “trolling contours” mode? Do you set the the iPilot Link to follow a contour just above where you are seeing fish marks?
2019 HB Helix 10 MDI+ G3N, Bow-mount
2020 MK Ulterra 112 lb. MDI, 36V, iPilot Link, Bow-mount
Old 09-30-2021, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

I troll cranks alot and use the i-Pilot Link "follow the contour" feature all the time on lakes where I troll contours and lakes that have Lakemaster HD maps available.
My wife and I fish Devils Lake alot and our favorite way to fish it is by following contours trolling cranks with leadcore and snapweights while using the i-Pilot Link "Follow the Contour" feature.
There's nothing complicated about how we do it. We fish mainly on weekends and all week long I pay attention to wind direction because I want to concentrate only on longer, straighter stretches of shoreline that have been windblown prior to or on the day that we're fishing. We've found that "follow the contour" works best on longer, straighter of shoreline and the fish prefer the windblown shorelines so that's what we concentrate on.
I search for fish with my electronics prior to trolling and when I mark numbers of fish at a certain depth, I set the "follow the contour" to that depth and also run our cranks at the same depth. To troll, I deploy my 112 lb. thrust Ulterra, set it straight and set it's speed to 4. I don't really want the Ulterra pulling the boat and mainly want it only to steer the boat. Starting at 4 on the Ulterra gives me alot of room to increase the thrust if needed because of wind, waves, etc.. Then I lower my gas kicker, lock it straight, start it and and set it's speed with a Trollmaster until I'm trolling at whichever speed that I want to start trolling. I then engage "follow the contour" on the Ulterrra.
We dislike trolling into the wind and only troll with the wind if at all possible. If we're catching fish on a certain stretch and we think that we've trolled past the active walleyes, we'll reel everything in, raise the Ulterra and the kicker and run back to the beginning of the fishable stretch to start our run again to avoid trolling into the wind.
If the fishing slows on a particular stretch, we'll move down the lake fishing the same contours on the windblown side of the lake on the next stretch similar to where we initially started fishing. If a stretch only holds smaller fish or for whatever reason a particular stretch isn't holding active fish, we'll reel up and move down the lake to the next similar stretch.
"Follow the contour" works great for how we fish. I set it at the beginning of a run and other than adjusting speed up or down once in a while, it'll keep us on a particular contour for miles.
It's really nice to know that we're still at the depth where we want to be after netting a fish, letting lines out, etc..
After almost a full season using the "follow the contour" feature on my i-Pilot Link Ulterra, I still have alot to learn about how to use it better and more efficiently. There is a bit of a learning curve while learning how to use but I've found it to be a great tool for trolling.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 09-30-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:56 PM
Keeper

The follow the contour feature is only functional when you are running Hummingbird sonar, correct?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGregS View Post
The follow the contour feature is only functional when you are running Hummingbird sonar, correct?
Yes
Old 10-13-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
he follow the contour feature is only functional when you are running Hummingbird sonar, correct?
Yes, when running a HB unit and a Lakemaster map.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

The Lakemaster map has to be a High Definition map for Follow the Contour to work but you can make your own contour maps using Autochart and then use them for Follow the Contour also although I've never tried it.