Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Back pain causing fishing issues. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Back pain causing fishing issues.

One day about 2 months ago, I woke up with a back pain that traveled down my back to my legs and made a lot of moving and or walking very painful.

2- trips to the Chiro doctor made no difference.

Finally got in to an orthopedic surgeon that scheduled an MRI>
The MRI revealed a lower back issue that had gotten worse over the years.

Today I had injections in both sides of my lower back done under a low powered x-ray to keep track of the needle path.

Here it is 12 hours later and my back pain is gone and about 80% of my leg weakness caused by a nerve pinch is also gone.

The Dr. indicated that the total healing would take place over the next 1-6 weeks.

But, so far - I am so thankful that the injections have allowed me to get back into the boat and go after some of the underwater creatures again.;

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2021, 04:06 AM
Wallhanger

Hope the shots work for you. They worked for me for quite a few years, but in the end I needed a couple surgeries. Best of luck, sciatic pain can be a bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Wallhanger

Glad you are getting some relief and I hope it continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Wallhanger

Glad to hear that things are improving REW.

You were wise to seek care relatively quickly.

Hopefully you will be in great shape next open water season!
Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

Good luck REW. Several years ago I got the back injection. First time it helped for about 4 months. Second time, 5 weeks. Third time, not at all. I eventually ended up in massage therapy which solved my problem.
Unfortunately I am experiencing the same problem, this time on the other side. It is awful. I am currently undergoing massage therapy,accupunture and physical therapy. None of it seems to help for more than a few hours. I just underwent a series of steroids over a period of seven days. I felt better for a total of a day and a half. I am on month 3 of the pain.
I hope your injection takes and gives your back/leg a chance to heal. I'll let you know if my treatments eventually work.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

Got a lotta back pain from decades of humping lumber but have also found a miracle cure.
A trip to South Beloit fixed Anonymouse right up, never feel back pain any longer than it takes to light the match now.
REW, this one's fer yooz - side benefit, imagined a flock of flamingos in front of the east side cop shop yesterday, while waiting for a Craig's List hookup.
They might even have been real, but suspect they were probably just plastic ones - if they were really there at all. (Photo at Madison zoo, not at the cop shop.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Anonymouse; 10-15-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Bakefish,
When the surgeon looks at the MRI of my back, it is readily apparent for the cause of the pain.

The years of toil and living has resulted in partially compressed disks in the lower back - L5 area.

As a result of the tipping disks, the disks are pressing against the S1 nerves in my back causing the issue.

The result of injecting the medicine into the back is to fill, surround and help to tilt the disks back into the correct position.

But, as the surgeon told me - the only real long term solution when injections no longer work is surgery to essentially immobilize those parts of my back that are damaged. But, when that happens, varying amounts of flexibility is given up, with the possibility of relieving back pain for the remainder of ones life - at the expense of giving up a little or a lot of back flexibility from the surgery. So, as long as I can avoid the knife and its lock up of my back - I will take the injection route.

Take care
Old 10-16-2021, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

For any type of back pain relief - one really needs to have an MRI taken before the treatment and after the treatment to verify any change that may result from the back treatment to verify the totality of the treatment and expected long term results of the treatment.

Hopefully, one has 0 deductible medical insurance.
Potential cost of MRI examinations:

https://www.google.com/search?q=typi...client=gws-wiz
Old 10-16-2021, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

Weight loss and carefully guided core exercises and stretches can do a lot to help with lumbar spinal issues.

I have spinal stenosis and compressed discs, and of course associated flare-ups of pain and stiffness, but I've been avoiding surgery or any other invasive treatment for a long time now. The aforementioned exercises and stretches, and for the worst flare-ups a brief course of painkiller (and maybe some muscle relaxant), have kept me functional and happy. (I've lost weight, too, but that's only been in the last couple of years.) Initially I refused to take any painkiller, and what happened then was that a flare-up would occur, I'd baby it because it hurt so much, that actually made it worse, I'd baby it even more, that made it worse still... eventually my wife had to more or less drag me to the car and haul me off to the orthopedist. Now by using painkiller judiciously I'm able stay active through the flare-ups, they never get anywhere near as bad as they used to and I recover from them much more quickly. Minimum dose for minimum time period, as painkillers aren't something in which to indulge a habit.

Gerry
Old 10-16-2021, 02:08 PM
carl m

Well I wouldn't write anything in stone concerning MRI's. My neighbor is a radiologist in a big hospital and mostly does MRI's.
She says that she and her friends have a different view if MRI's and back pain. Many times people have terrible back pain and their MRI looks good. Someone else who has generally been taken for other purposes than back pain and it noted that it looks terrible as far as degeneration and disk bulges,but are as happy as a clam..

That most pain pain, tramatic or idiopathic comes from inflammation. Thats why doing some things relive it, whether or not NSAID drugs, massage, manpulation, steroid injections, or just time is used,
Injections if they hit the right spot can often quickly reduce this but it also weaken the tissue around it according to some studies making it more unstable. .

Now MRI's are good to elimate tumors and some malformations but she has said not great for really finding a reason for most back pain. Of course if you do have back pain and have an MRI that looks bad, ..that will get a DX of thats what causing it, and esp not long ago you might get walzed in surgery. Like it or not those evil insurance companies are not always paying for them,..right away, finding conservative care often works better in the long run. Failed back surgeries are very common esp after a year or two. Thn conservative care might not work or work less.

here is a link to a pretty good discussion about it,..(by far not the only opinion on it. )

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...23&action=view