Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pflueger reels - line twist? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 AM
Minnow

Default Pflueger reels - line twist?

I'm probably going to catch a lot of heat for this, but has anyone else had serious line twist issues with Pflueger reels? I have a Pflueger Supreme XT that I dare not put on a rod for friends to use, because the line will be terribly twisted after only one day of fishing. I don't seem to have this same issue with my Shimano stradics, KastKing Sharky III, and Penn reels.

Could this be a line roller issue with the Pflueger reel, or is this a consistent issue with Pflueger reels?

Last edited by Ryltar; 08-25-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Ryltar,
I have never actually seen any reel design that by itself actually causes line twist in a reel.

i.e. as long as the reel is operating correctly and the user is using the reel correctly the reel typically does not put twist in the line.

A couple of thoughts.

1. Make sure that the reel is clean and lubricated.
2. Remove, clean, lubricate, and replace the line roller. After replacement, be sure that the line roller rolls freely with no binding at all.
3. When using the reel, be sure that the drag works correctly, has no catchy spots and be sure that the drag is set tight enough so that under normal circumstances the drag does not slip . i.e. you do not want to be reeling in the typical fish and have the drag slipping. You only want the drag to slip if the fish is really making a run or fighting very hard. The rest of the time, the drag should not slip. If the drag does slip under normal reeling, the action of reeling puts twist in the line.

4. Perhaps most important.
After having new line put n the reel, do not fish with it, until you take it out on the water - and with the line tied securely to the spool arbor, in your boat idling out, and no terminal of any kind on the end of your line, let all of the line off of the reel. Then, drag the line for an 1/8th of a mile or so through the water. This does two things. It gets all of the line off of the water. It gets all of the line wet and then, with the boat stopped and the end of the rod tip in the water or at water level, reel the line back on the reel with no slipping of the reel drag. This will put the wetted line back onto the reel in a fashion to minimize any line twist because it is going onto the reel correctly - no matter how it may have been put n the reel initially.

---
Now, take the reel fishing and see how it goes. As I said - do not reel in a fish or a snag and have the drag slip ---. If you do, you will put twists in the line.

=========================
There are many many reels of this make and model without exhibiting the problems you mention. So, the basic design of the reel is not the problem. It is of course, possible that there may be something defective in the manufacture of your particular reel, but before swapping it, try the steps listed above and see how it works out.

++++++++++++++++++++++
P.S.
I was fishing with someone a while back and was using one of my rod and reels. The line was being retrieved under the tension of an average fish. I happened to glance over and noticed that the handle was being turned, and the reel was turning but the fish was pulling the line the other way, so twist was being put into the line. I reached over and quickly made a small drag adjustment on the reel and the line twisting stopped. But, the twist was in the line. So, before we did more fishing with that rod, I did the line in the water behind the boat. In the main time, the person was given a different rod and reel to avoid interrupting the person's fishing.

Take care
Old 08-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Keeper

Default Line twist

Not a expert but it almost got to be the line roller or not enough drag and getting slipage on light retrieve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

Simply send it to me for extensive testing and I will let you know what problem you have.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

I find no difference from other brands of good reels.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Guess is either drag not tight enough, causing twist when fighting fish, or perhaps the line is periodically slipping on the spool -very hard to detect - check to make sure the line is securely fastened to the spool. As previously stated, normally situation not reel brand specific.

Bill
Old 08-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Minnow

I had the same issue with a Pflueger president and even talked with the company. Great customer service but we never figured it out. At the time I was using a shad rap and casting shorelines. Since then I have moved that real over to a slip bobber rod and given up on casting it.

I did check the line roller and it seems to be working as it should. I also checked for line slippage. It is a good real with a good drag but unfortunately will only be used for not casting needs.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:06 AM
Wallhanger

Default My Pfleuger line twist resolve

When I first used my Pfleueger/4730 model reel, I loaded it
with 10# Mono. The Mono on a small spool develops memory.
(Pigtail) I then switch to a braided "Power Pro" line & resolved
my problem. CRJohn
My Ride: 2001/1800 Lund Pro-V, '17/Honda 90hp V-Tech Tiller, 82# Bow Mount MtrGuide, LCX104c, LCX19c, LCX27c, Dual Pro Charger w/eng. assist, Ram Mounts & Holders, Wave Whackers, Clarion Sirrus Sat. Radio & Shorelander Roller Trailer on Lake of the Woods.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the help guys. If I were to guess, maybe my wife had the drag set too light.

I've never heard of running the line behind the boat before even using it REW. When I spool up my reels, I will let the spool soak in water in a bowl, and reel it on with the spool label facing up (coming off counter clockwise). That allows the spool to rotate when spooling to compensate for the line twist due to the difference in size between the line spool and the reel spool.

Last edited by Ryltar; 08-26-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Ryltar,
Any time you are having a spinning reel with line twist, do the line in the water with no terminal tackle on the line and drag it for a good distance. The drag from the water will both saturate the line and it will also remove any twists that might have gotten into the line for what ever reason.

Here is a video on dragging twisted line with no terminal tackle behind a boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35Ul5lflKY

Be safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcN8lyhI8bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPSZMsAmdtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ub64QWEF9c