Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Out of state boat sales tax - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM
Keeper

Default Out of state boat sales tax

I am looking at another boat...
I live in Colorado and this boat is from another state. The dealer tells me that I will not have to pay tax in their state and they will write me a separate bill of sale for the trailer. Colorado does not title boats, so I'm thinking the only thing I will have to pay sales tax on is the amount listed for the trailer.

Can anyone share their experience from a similar situation? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Keeper

Here in Washington it is a sales and USE tax. The dept of revenue still wants theys due. Whether they will catch you is another matter.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Keeper

Likely, when you register your boat, you will have to pay the sales tax. That is how it worked for me when I had a boat registered that wasn't titled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Wallhanger

Bought in IL, live in iowa. Had to pay sales tax on trailer in IL and tax on boat in iowa when registering.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

You are correct.

From the Colorado website:

Effective 1/1/2017 (Requirement for CO Residents): New Regulations for What Constitutes Acceptable Proof of Ownership

Who must register:

​​Colorado residents are required to register their boats​ and must provide acceptable proof.
What constitutes acceptable proof?

​Colorado Parks & Wildlife regulations no​w state that a registration applicant must provide acceptable proof of ownership for boat, snowmobile and off-highway vehicle registrations in the form of one of the following:

Bill of sale* that includes both the seller and buyer's printed names and signatures, the vessel/vehicle identification number (if any), the vessel/vehicle make, model and year (if known), and the date of the sale;

Previous registration certificate issued by a governmental entity that lists the applicant as registered owner;

Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO)/Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO);

Certificate of Title;

Any court issued document proving ownership;

A collection of personal property by affidavit form pursuant to 15-12-1201, C.R.S.;

A physical inspection form completed by a CPW agent​

*An acceptable private party to private party Bill of Sale Template can be downloaded here for your use. ​​

​​Registration​​

To register your boat, complete the Boat Registration form ​and return it, along with your proof of ownership,​ to:

Colorado Parks and Wildlife-Registration Unit
13787 S Highway 85
Littleton, CO 80125
Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Wallhanger

Default Out of state boat sales tax

Based on what the dealer has told you, make three purchases: Boat, motor, & trailer.
If the dealer says no tax on the boat in his state, I'll bet you end up paying tax on the trailer when you get the plates. The DNR might want tax when you register the boat.
However how would any taxing body know about where the motor was purchased.

We bought an outboard in Ontario many years ago. Dealer gave us paperwork to have stamped at the border which we mailed back to them. Never did pay tax anywhere on the outboard.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Keeper

Mean to do a follow up on this last summer. I did wind up buying the boat out of state. The only tax I paid was on the trailer, it was next to nothing. In my case it was well worth buying out of state. I saved a lot on the price of the boat, then saved probably another 3-4K on tax.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
Mean to do a follow up on this last summer. I did wind up buying the boat out of state. The only tax I paid was on the trailer, it was next to nothing. In my case it was well worth buying out of state. I saved a lot on the price of the boat, then saved probably another 3-4K on tax.

Winner winner chicken dinner. I did the same. The lady at Douglas County DMV was nice, but a little lost. I had to tell them an approximate value of the trailer to get properly taxed. She was trying to tax me for the boat, motor and trailer all together. They ended up giving me an extension on my temp tag until she got the answers from the state. It all took some time, but worked out well.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 09-09-2020, 07:10 PM
Keeper

Nice. The company I bought the boat from gave me a separate bill of sale just for the trailer thankfully. Made it easy at the DMV.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner. I did the same. The lady at Douglas County DMV was nice, but a little lost. I had to tell them an approximate value of the trailer to get properly taxed. She was trying to tax me for the boat, motor and trailer all together. They ended up giving me an extension on my temp tag until she got the answers from the state. It all took some time, but worked out well.
The DMV does not register boats. That is done by the Parks and Wildlife Division. Trailers are handled by the DMV.