Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
YarCraft 186 info please.... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-14-2020, 07:29 PM
Keeper

Default YarCraft 186 info please....

Iím considering this model and unfortunately dealers are not local to my PA location. Iím also considering other models in the 19í class, but for some reason the Yarcraft seems to stand out to me. I keep reading how dry the ride is and how tough the hull is.

Your experience and input is appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

I owned a 2013 model that was one of the first built in the Arkansas plant after the sale to Bass Cat. I ran that boat for 4 seasons before moving up to a 219 TFX last year. I greatly enjoyed the boat, that hull provides an extremely dry and fast ride. The fit and finish was very good and anytime I called down to get a part or ask a questions, the people that I dealt with were excellent. The boat has a bow high attitude and you'd be hard pressed to ever dip a wave over the bow, the downside is a 60" shaft trolling motor is not enough if you fish rough water, go for a 72". The boat is extremely capable in rough water. Make no mistake, it's not a 20 or 21 ft boat but it does very well for an 18.5' rig. Mine sat on a tandem trailer which I had no issues with, it loaded very nicely and pulled well down the road. Fully loaded with a DAH tempest plus and two people the 200 Opti would push it between 58-60 mph depending on the day and weather conditions. I also ran a 19P DAH custom Rev 4 which was a 54-55 mph prop however provided a better ride and bow control. The built in cooler was a great size and was probably one of the best coolers I've ever owned. Start the day with an 8lb bag of ice and at the end of the day, I just about always had a half bag left over.

There were a few things I thought they could of done differently or better, some that I fixed myself, and some things that I just lived with. The snap-in carpet didn't have enough snaps and the first trip a few snaps pulled out of the floor from the wind catching the carpet while in tow, I fixed the pulled out ones and added another 1/2 dozen or so snaps which solved the problem. The rear floor scuppers didn't drain very well and the in-floor rod-locker on my FSX would fill with water if you fished in a hard rain. I suspect the newer TFXs wont have the rod locker issue with the raised locker similar to my 219TFX which has not been an issue either. I had/have issues with the walk through windshield sagging but I can't blame that one on Yar-Craft, that's a product of the piece of crap Taylormade windshields that go on every walleye boat, must be nice to have a monopoly! I had the same issue on my skeeter and also on my new 219TFX. I can only hope the new ones that are supposed to be bond differently hold up better. Everything else lived up to the expectations and I never experienced any issues where the boat or motors required any warranty work. Overall, it was a very good boat and I have no issues recommending them to anyone looking at that style and size of boat.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Minnow

I am currently waiting on my new 2020 186 to be built. I paired it with the all new Yamaha 200SHO. It is replacing my 2016 209tfx which was an incredible boat. Fast, dry and built to last. I expect the same to be true for the 186. Hannay's marine in Minneapolis is my local dealer but also services the Easy coast. In fact, they are delivering a new 2095 to a guy in PA this May. Give Tim Emanual all call and get your questions answered. I should my new boat on the water by mid March I'll provide some follow-up then.
Happy Shopping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Keeper

Default Much, much thanks.

I very much appreciate the detailed information you provided and the time you took to provide it. You both have confirmed my thoughts to date and supported some of my other findings.

There's still open water here, but once open water occurs in the area of the dealers I'm considering, you can bet a road trip will occur. At this point, my only real concern is the distance to a dealer should I have any issues. Naturally, the engines can be serviced almost anywhere, but the hull warranty is a concern.

Thanks again for your experiences and time.
God Bless.
Be Safe.
Tight Lines.
Mike
Old 01-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Wallhanger

They're not super close to PA but I'll give a shout out to Sherman Truss @ Sherm's Marine in Wabash Indiana. Depending where your at in PA, might be less than a days drive. My 186 came from Sherm's and they did a fantastic job rigging the boat and processing the sale. I bought the boat sight unseen only based on photos and phone calls and it was one of the easist large purchase transactions I ever did. It was also a fantastic deal. Sherm got me hooked up with one of the Yar-Craft Pro-staff (Jay Couch) that he knew and Jay personally delivered the boat water ready to central ND. I can also attest to North Country Marine in Garrison, ND where I purchased my 219TFX, however they're quite abit further away from you. Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

Mike - I have had my 2009 Yarcraft 209 since August of 2009. It has an Evinrude 200 and a 9.9 kicker. I have taken that rig all over, from Erie to multiple different lakes in Canada, to lakes in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana. The only issue I have had with the boat was the live well valve and it was taken care of in less than an hour. I would love to replace the trolling motor and the LCRs with newer models but this boat has been fantastic and has taken well care of me in some very nasty conditions. If I was to ever buy another boat it would be a Yarcraft again.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:43 PM
Keeper

Just picked up a new 186. Great ride! Did 2 hours of break-in in rough water and it handled it way better than the Yarcraft Storm that I used to have. Have heard it said and agree....it seems like a lot bigger boat than 18 ft 6 inches. Very happy with my purchase. I did max it out with the Merc 200 hp Pro XS. Mrt.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Keeper

@SLE 58-60?? That with GPS? My 19' Alumacraft won't go close to that fast with the F200.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:20 AM
Wallhanger

Lowrance HDS 8 gps - and repeatable. I have video from other days on the water also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	278448C2-FC81-4CE1-BEAD-1F455F655C10_1599394732112.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	321328  
Old 09-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG1 View Post
Iím considering this model and unfortunately dealers are not local to my PA location. Iím also considering other models in the 19í class, but for some reason the Yarcraft seems to stand out to me. I keep reading how dry the ride is and how tough the hull is.

Your experience and input is appreciated.

Mike
Where in PA do you live? Is there a BassCat dealer nearby? To locate a dealer check this link https://www.basscat.com/dealer/home/

If you find one nearby give them a call about a ordering a YarCraft.