Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reata rear starboard jump seat storage wet. Why? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Keeper

Default Reata rear starboard jump seat storage wet. Why?

Starboard side jump seat compartment gets wet for some reason without being rained on. This is the compartment that has the starting battery in it. I keep my "fish" towels in there, and they are soaking wet for some reason? Port side compartment is dry. Does having the battery in there cause some heavy duty condensation or what else could be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Keeper

???? Livewell overflow/splashing issue?? I doubt it's condensation.

Rich
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly67 View Post
Starboard side jump seat compartment gets wet for some reason without being rained on. This is the compartment that has the starting battery in it. I keep my "fish" towels in there, and they are soaking wet for some reason? Port side compartment is dry. Does having the battery in there cause some heavy duty condensation or what else could be happening?
Front cooler drain perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Keeper

Could be livewell splashing. I will have to watch that level. I use the front cooler for normal storage so it can't be from there.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Keeper

On my 1860 Angler both compartments (port and starboard) get wet when I stop to quickly and let water come up over the transom and tiny splash well. I know they are different with the jump seats but something to consider.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Mine does it, too. Just the starboard side. The other side has always been dry.
I've been thinking about cutting a piece of lexan (polycarbonate) plastic and seal it in with just enough of a slope to force water to the drain in the back corner. You have to use a silicone compatible with the polycarb. Dow Corning 999A works well but can be hard to find. We stock it, so it may be available at some glass shops.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

My 2006 Ranger Reata 1850 would leak through the rear access door in the splashwell.

I took the boat to the Ranger factory and they installed a rubber seal to this hatch door and it does not leak anymore. Every time I backed up the boat, water would enter that hatch.

Bob
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I suspect that bob1 has it right.
i.e. leaking occurring, during water over the back - time.

If you suspect that you might be getting water from the livewell - just do an all day outing with the livewell empty and check for any sign of moisture.

At the same time, do an outing where you don't do any backing up , or run the issue of taking water over the transom into the splashpan by slowing too quickly or running big waves.

Good luck
REW
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

Coming from personal experience with the same problem, this sounds dumb, but the rear cup holder on that side has a hole in it. Whenever it rained or I washed the boat, the water would drain from that side into the rear compartment. You can look in the compartment and see why this happens. No hole on the cup holder on the other side. May be their idea of venting the compartment because of the battery underneath?? Don't know, but that was my experience. Never had water go around the seal on the top. Hope this helps?? Bill
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Wallhanger

I can't say as I've ever noticed water in either rear compartment of my Reata.

Quote from Rob Olson
Delta Waterfowl President