Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kumho 205's - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default Kumho 205's

Well, I replaced the old Marathons which were 215's, with some 205's from Kumho. Took my yearly Wisconsin trip and I must say these are nice tires. The first 100 miles or so I will chalk it up to wearing them in. The ride was a bit choppy and stiff. But after that they really settled in to me. Nice tracking, a lot less sidewall flexing, just a general smoothness. The old Marathons had a lot more flexing at max PSI. I Checked the tire at each stop, not hot at all, just felt like a little warmer than ambient temperature. I pull the trailer with an older Town Car, and the whole ride was a smoother experience. What else to say? I dunno, I am just a happy customer with about 800 miles so far on them. A good choice for those looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

My 215x14 Marathons are nearing end-of-life and I was planning to replace them with Kumho 205's, so I appreciate the report. My Marathons were made in New Zealand and have been flawless. The China-made Marathons seem to be a different story.

If you're towing with a Lincoln Town Car, I'm surprised you feel anything at all from the trailer.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

Yeah, my first set of Marathons didn't last too long. They both blew out on the 4th of July one year. The second set made it 8 years, no issues. But I just liked what the Kumhos had to offer, especially the higher weight capacity, not that I overload the trailer. Yeah, the Marathons made the Lincoln a bit bouncy. These new tires helped to settle it down ride wise. Nice tow vehicle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Keeper

Default kumhos

I MrWalleye,Did you buy your Kumhos locally.I'm considering a pair.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Wallhanger

Yes I did. I actually asked my long time auto service shop. They more recently began selling tires. I asked them on the off chance, since finding them wasn't easy. They had them in a day. A lot more of the independent shops are starting to sell tires, and I think they all use the same or similar service as their supplier. Discount Tire should be able to get them, Farm and Fleet in Woodstock can get Kumho's, maybe these too, and Cassidy Tire (Crystal Lake) says they do too. MY shop is in Lake Zurich, if you want to go that far.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the info.I should have done more searching.I've dealt with Cassidy in the past.I was in the auto repair business in Palatine and bought lots of tires from Cassidy.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Keeper

If you really want nice trailer tires run the Kumho 857's
Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Wallhanger

I am in my 5th year of use of 857's and will probably retire them before the beginning of next season. I have approximately 30k flawless miles on them after replacing Marathons due to a high speed blowout.