Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2004 Lund Alaskan 2000 Motor Upgrade - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 12-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Minnow

Cool 2004 Lund Alaskan 2000 Motor Upgrade

Bought a 2004 Lund Alaskan 2000 Tiler Model a few months back, has a Yammy F60 2004 with a 15 pitch stainless steel prop. Have taken it out a few times already, usually with 3-4 people, and have noticed its a little on slower side, seems to top out at around 25 MPH on glass. I'm afraid this motor wont be peppy enough on rougher water. The sticker on the boat says it can take up to a 90HP motor, but have noticed that the newer Alaskans take up to a 125 HP. Would there be anything wrong putting a 115HP, or maybe even a 150HP. The sticker also says its rated for 600 lbs of motor, so I could definitely fit a 115/150HP motor on there. If I could only put a 90HP motor on there, would it even be worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Wallhanger

Default 2004 Lund Alaskan 2000 Motor Upgrade

I'm sure current and past marine dealers will post their thoughts on placing a larger motor on the boat. I can't help but think that going to a motor with 30 more horsepower will not significantly increase your speed.
As far as exceeding the horsepower limit on the boat's " badge" or sticker, I myself would not do it. Doubt a marine dealer would do it either simply for liability issues. Doubt your insurance carrier would cover any claims if you exceed the manufacturer's hp limit.

Marine deals - what say you?
Old 12-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

If you are in the US, you should abide by the 90hp rating placard. That being said, today's 90's have twice the displacement of the 60 4S you currently have, and would be a considerable improvement over what you have now.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...oke/75-115-hp/

A few years back, I went from a 60 4S to a 75 2S on a 17' hull, it was a night & day difference.

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Not an expert, but I think a sixty is to light for a twenty foot boat.

Probably not a good move to exceed the stated max hp for the hull. Probably illegal, also.

Here's my thoughts on power.

If it takes sixty HP to move your boat twenty five mph, then going to a ninety gives you thirty hp to go faster than that. So it takes .41 hp for each mph up to twenty five from your sixty. Then using that "theory" (only) an extra thirty hp x .416 = 12.5 mph gain. I truly doubt that is accurate, but I'd bet a beer you'd gain ten mph by going to a ninety.

Thirty five on most waters is fast enough for the average fisherman. Especially on rocky Canadian like lakes.

Some boat expert tell me if I'm even close to accurate or not. I'm responding to this post because I want a newer boat one of these days and I will probably be asking this same question at that time.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 12-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Minnow

if you are going to keep the set up for a while have you thought about the 90 HO e-tec??
its a v-4 2 stroke. and evinrude just up there warranty to 10 ( TEN) years.
i think it might be what your lookin for.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Minnow

I sure appreciate the feedback from you all. I wouldn't want to get into any trouble, so will stick with the 90HP. This is my first boat, and I bought it at an estate auction. The boat had all the goodies, never really been used, always stored inside, doesn't have a scratch on it. Had around 6 hours when I bought it. Haven't really looked into the 90 HO e-tec, do you think that would be the most powerful 90? Since we've used it, that Yammy F60 has about 20 hours on it, its spotless, how much do you think I should get for it on a trade in?
Old 12-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

I don't know if this why they are rated higher now than in 2004 on the tiller model... But, the newer boats are slightly different than the 2004. The newer ones have IPS, whereas the 2004 had the "true Lund V bottom"..
The newer ones are a touch wider.
The rating may be more to do with the tiller handles available then vs now, than the boat. (I don't know).
It'll probably be hard to get a dealer to change it out...due to his insurance.

A 90 weighs more, but it will make a big difference in performance.
If considering a new engine...they are lighter now, than they used to be!
Surprisingly, the 90 Mercury 4 stroke is lighter @ 359lbs than a 90 e-tec @ 390lbs, according to their websites.
Plus, with a four stroke, you don't have an oil reservoir to deal with. Space is kind of tight under the splash pan in the back of a 20 Alaskan (I own one).
Old 12-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Minnow

Would a different prop speed it up? Its got a 15 pitch stainless steel prop now.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundPuller View Post
I sure appreciate the feedback from you all. I wouldn't want to get into any trouble, so will stick with the 90HP. This is my first boat, and I bought it at an estate auction. The boat had all the goodies, never really been used, always stored inside, doesn't have a scratch on it. Had around 6 hours when I bought it. Haven't really looked into the 90 HO e-tec, do you think that would be the most powerful 90? Since we've used it, that Yammy F60 has about 20 hours on it, its spotless, how much do you think I should get for it on a trade in?
The E-TEC 90 HO will be by far the most powerful 90 hp available. It's really a 115 hp v-4 outboard that has been detuned and built just for your problem. Go to YouTube and look it up. I would but I'm on my iPad.

I have this outboard and believe me, it has a lot of POWER.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Lund,
You have a wonderful fishing boat that will give you hours and hours of great fishing on the water of your choice.

You are right, it is a nice 25 mph boat. If you want a better hole shot, reduce the prop pitch to a 13 pitch. Then, you will have a nice 23 mph boat with a very good hole shot.

But on so many waters, it is tough to really run much faster than that anyway.

The 60 hp motor is much lighter than either a 90hp or bigger motor.

But, certainly, if you want to exchange the motor for a bigger one, virtually any Yamaha dealer out there will give you fair market value for your motor.

Good luck

Tags
lund boats , tiler , yamaha 90 hp