Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
which way to windemere lake? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Minnow

Default which way to windemere lake?

hey guys, headed to happy day lodge on windemere lake in the chapleau region of Ontario. I have been north on trans/Canada hwy past wawa to nakina and Armstrong in the past and to wabatongushi lake on 519. but never on 129 out of the sault. I will be hauling a 24' camper with my f-150 and need some help on which way is better. thanks for any help. pinenut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Wallhanger

Go to Google Maps and look at the Street View. You can see actual photos of the roads themselves - just like you were there.

129 is pretty remote. It's paved, but narrow with gravel shoulders. 101 is better, but not by an overly wide margin.

I've always taken 17 to Wawa and then East on 101. I just love the drive up Superior!
Old 09-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Keeper

I made my first trip there this past summer towing a boat. I was advised by Sondra against using 125 if I'm towing. We were glad we went 101 out of Wawa because it is a reasonably flat scenic road with practically no traffic. Plus coming up Hwy 17 was a very easy drive. Plus you are probably going to want to gas-up in Wawa before and after the lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

x3 on 101
Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

X 4 on the 101 out of Wawa.

Pulled my rig up the 129 and was dodging huge potholes and missing sections of the roadway once I got about half way to Chapleau. Needless to say, drove back to the Soo via the 101.

Have fished Windemere over the years a number of times, and it is a beautiful lake. Do yourself a favor and at least one day fish the big bay by their Outpost cabin. The lake has good fishing for larger fish (thanks to Bob and Sondra's slot requirements).

Safe travels....
Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 PM
Keeper

X5 on 17 to 101! The drive along Superior is some of the most scenic you will come across! In Wawa make sure to stop at Youngs and get some of their summer sausage!

2 years ago I had to take a 7 hour detour when 17 washed out north of Pancake bay. I made it to 129 and it was white knuckle hauling a big flat bed with quads....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 AM
Minnow

Default windermere lake drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatchmike View Post
X5 on 17 to 101! The drive along Superior is some of the most scenic you will come across! In Wawa make sure to stop at Youngs and get some of their summer sausage!

2 years ago I had to take a 7 hour detour when 17 washed out north of Pancake bay. I made it to 129 and it was white knuckle hauling a big flat bed with quads....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
thanks guys, I too love that drive along superior. we will defenently hit the big bay on west end of lake near the outpost camp(thanks) I appreciate all the good advice, especially the heads up on the sausage thanks mike, I'm a real junkie. if anything else pops in your heads drop me a line. thanks again. pinenut
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Wallhanger

Default Where from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinenut View Post
hey guys, headed to happy day lodge on windemere lake in the chapleau region of Ontario. I have been north on trans/Canada hwy past wawa to nakina and Armstrong in the past and to wabatongushi lake on 519. but never on 129 out of the sault. I will be hauling a 24' camper with my f-150 and need some help on which way is better. thanks for any help. pinenut
Whar area are you driving from?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Keeper

Young's used to have a full size pickle barrel that was worth a try
Happy Trails