Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Staying Logged In? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Complaint Department > Walleye Central Complaints, Kudos, Suggestions Etc...

Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I have no idea about "automatic recertification intervals" being an option in the browser settings.

Sometimes a persons ISP will log them out if they appear to be offline for an extended period of time that is preset and different for each ISP.

They make 3rd party software to "ping" your ISP to let them know you are online to fix that problem but I have never used any so I have no idea how they work or which one is a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Keeper

What seems odd to me is that some sites do not drop the logon when you browse another window say for a reference or to find a fact, but this one does. That makes me suspect that there are different contact procedures from the various sites to my browser rather than being an issue with the ISP or the particular browser.

I run Firefox at level 2.0.0.16 on WIN98 SE on a Pentium II 350, and have no other problems with this site other than the private message notification I mentioned to you in another post. Were this limited to me I would suspect it to be some lack in my OS or hardware level and I would live with it, but it appears to happen to some with more recent versions of Windows on more modern machines, too.

I would say that in my case the ISP is not responsible; so that sorta leaves one end or the other. I am on DSL anyway; so I am constantly online. The message comes from this site anyway rather than being a network or from my own setup. Walleye Central will log off a user on an open window while maintaining an active web page. The puzzler is that it doesn't do that to everybody, and other sites do not do it to at least some of us who get this response from Walleye Central.

Last edited by no1son; 08-21-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: accidental early send
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure how big of a problem it is or how to fix it right now.

I have my home machine, my day job machine, my wifes machine, my laptop....and NONE of them get kicked off or has to login unless I logout.

You might check your browser settings and see when you have your cookies set to expire.

Without a cookie, you are logged out because it's the cookie that tells the script who you are and keeps you logged in.

Lose the cookie, lose the login.

If this is a wide spread problem.....I need to know.

If it's my problem.....I can fix it......but I gotta know what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Keeper

The way it is, I can live with it. I don't think it is specifically the cookie, either, since the cookie stays live (I think) while my browser is up. This happens to me if I do not act on a live web page at WalleyeCentral for a short bit. Logging back in then allows me to pick up pretty much right where I left off. It is not a fatal problem, more of a petty annoyance if anything.

I expect to have log back in after closing my browser, because I want to clean out cookies from each browsing session then. That is no biggy.

For my own part I don't consider this to be anything like a high priority issue. I have a pretty useable workaround. It is, however, puzzling, since other login websites do not do this with my configuration or through my ISP. It may be a timeout that gets set somehow by making a customized WalleyeCentral homepage. One of these days I will go back to the default and rebuild that to see if that may fix the issue. If that does it, I will report back to you. Until then you need not worry too much about this.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Keeper

Hey Golden,

This is a test of a possible fix for logoff interval for inactivity. Passed.

I went to the Customize page and tried to access my profile and preferences, when that failed I then just reset the defaults blindly. I logged off and when I logged back on with the Remember me box checked I rebuilt my customized WalleyeCentral Home Page. Now I do not seem to be getting logged off after any interval of inactivity, not even when closing the browser and reopening it and then logging back in even without re-checking the Remember Me button.

In my case, the problem seems to have been something carried over in the profile, preferences or customized home page from what I had set up for the previous version which I corrected by reinstalling the defaults. I have no idea what was done to the preferences and profile by restoring those defaults, but I seem to have cleared my logoff problem by resetting to default values. Looks like one has to log out and then log back in (probably also a good idea to check the Remember me box, too) for that to work completely. If the problem was in particular types of Customization or Preferences that might explain why some of us had this problem and some didn't.

If that is the case you will have to be careful about restoring backups or you may also restore the faulty settings and recreate the problem for some of us. <grin>
Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Keeper

Follow up:

after about six hours computer shutdown, the logoff problem is still absent. Looks like it has to do with the private settings that some of us brought with us from the previous version. Restoring defaults, logging off and then logging back on to rebuild the private versions seems to clear it, at least it seems to have done so for me.