Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Structure Scan worth it? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Slot Fish

Default Structure Scan worth it?

I have 2 HDS 8 units gen 1 and looking at adding LSS-2 structure scan and was wondering if it is worth the $600. I fish mainly walleye in mostly reservoir lakes.
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Keeper

I would really miss it if did not have it.
it's unbelievable on what you can can see and identify more then standard sonar from structure to baitfish and larger fish. For one it sure saves me on plugs lost when trolling. Can identify a submerged snag and get line up to avoid it. times one can even identify fish to sides turn boat to swing line over them or mark them and go back to spot which have paid off.
12' Talon
Lowrance 2-HDS9, HDS7 w/3D structure scan, sonichub, Point1
Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

I have my LSS1 on the screen 99% of the time...... absolutely worth it to me. I fish N MN lakes for walleyes and crappies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Keeper

This is the first season I have used structure scan on my HDS and absolutely love it--whether I'm fishing walleye or looking for bait and coho, it has been very helpful.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I split my screen between sonar and down scan. The two together really confirm or clarify what you "think" one screen is telling you. The two together are synergistic.

Really helps to understand what is below the boat. I've gained more understanding of the depths beneath my boat in the last two years than the rest of my lifetime on the water.

It's just a tool. Don't let it distract you from the actual fishing!

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 06-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Wallhanger

Default Lss 1

Lund find a LSS-1 you will be very happy. I would not go with a LSS-2 after a side to side comparison
Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Wallhanger

Side scan is on my one graph 100% of the time
Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default Would Not Replace Sonar

Structure scan is great in conjunction with sonar, to verify targets seen on sonar and also shows transition from hard to soft bottom. using side scan more and more to determine weed lines and position of the boat in relationship to these weed edges.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Keeper

It's a great tool used in conjunction with broadband sonar. It's also a great way to ethernet units if you have two or more on your boat. Mind your battery level, all these toys use amps.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
I split my screen between sonar and down scan. The two together really confirm or clarify what you "think" one screen is telling you. The two together are synergistic.

Really helps to understand what is below the boat. I've gained more understanding of the depths beneath my boat in the last two years than the rest of my lifetime on the water.

It's just a tool. Don't let it distract you from the actual fishing!

Pooch
Agreed. DI is extremely helpful in interpretation what's below. A nice adjunct to 2D sonar.

Tags
hds , lowrance , lss , walleye