Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I-pilot Link---Too much? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Wallhanger

Default I-pilot Link---Too much?

As winter sets in, I usually start thinking about the new must have additions that I impulsively buy every winter as, I anxiously wait for the next open water season-----

Up for me this year is the new I-pilot Link:

I just cannot decide. Part of me says, this is a great! I can follow contours hands-free and pitch jigs or rip jigs hands free finally! Or I can pre-plan my tracks and record them before I even get out there. Sounds unbelievable really but..........

I also think that with the current I-Pilot, it is the perfect blend between great technology, and fishing. It seems to everything that I need to help catch fish----especially the spot lock.

More often than not pre-planning exact locations/tracks do not pan out once I get out there due to wind/weather, different bite, etc. In other words it is hard to plan where the fish on any given day from chair and computer.

Also, I like the imperfections of depth changes like when I plan on being in 11 feet and then I accidently go into 16 feet and then get a bite that I would not have got if it wasn't for my bad steering for a moment.

Bottom line is I am torn----I really like the idea but, is this the line between too much technology and too little fishing or will this be even slicker?

The decision is not being made easier by the $75 off $500 at cabelas I just got in the mail---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default Go for it!!

If you have the cash got for it!! I don't see how it could hurt to have it on the boat, you don't have to use it all the time if you don't want to. Put your old iPilot on the swap board to help ease the pain a little. I can tell you that I will have it on my new boat come Spring!! Speaking of Spring I can't wait!!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Wallhanger

Agreed! For me it's a no brainer. Having the ability to map out trolling passes ahead of time is a big plus! And the contour following.... Oh yeah!!!

Sign me up!!
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Your concerns are fair, but after using the product will tell you that yuo are worring about nothing.

Here are some things that I found.

First, your trolling passes are most likely already made, you just have to build them. I found taht all I have to do is connect the dots from waypoints of fish catches and build a route. Then Ifollow the route with my i-pilot link.

Secondly, the trolling motor is only as good as the contour lines on the Lake Master charts and the weather conditions. Lake Master does a great job of creating maps taht are very accurate, but they are not perfect. If there is a bit of wind, you will not stay right on the line anyway. The motor, much as a human being is constantly adjusting. It cannot steer back to the contour until it leaves the contour. Trust me, it is a perfect balance, just like you are looking for.

Thirdly, once you start driving your trolling motor from your Humminbird, you may never touch the remote again. I just need to teach all my partners how to put the Terrova in and out of the water and I may never leave the capt chair again.

You will love it. Don't hesitate.

Johnnie Candle
Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the replies---I have a feeling I will love it but, I am wondering for me if it is overkill as I don't troll a great deal. Sometimes, well all the time, the winter months find me buying stuff I don't really need so, what to make sure this doesn't fall into that catergory.

Does the foot control work with the new head/---I would imagine it does.

So the math should work out to $800-5% Bonus cabelas -$75 coupon + $100 new map chip -$50 buck selling old map chip - $200 (?) selling old control head and new remote

So about $500 out of pocket for the upgrade.

Hmmmmm.....

I can't quite shake the thought of pitching jigs out of the bow while the I-pilot steers around a shallow contour line all by its self at around 1.1 mph.

Man I miss spring/summer already.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Keeper

Default Kids

For me it is must have! I have spent the past 5 years reproducing and am excited to begin fishing as a family. The I Link will allow me to attend to the lines and needs of my 6 and 3 year olds while remaining on course. In the past few years, nothing has hindered fishing more than taking my eyes off the finder and hands off the motor while tending to the needs of family. Lots of wasted time trying to get back on course after tending to their needs. My wife likes to fish as much as me, so I don't just go alone , it's a family deal. I Link is going to be life changing for us. I don't see it as a way to cheat, but rather a way to finally enjoy. I still have to locate structure and fish, using SI and DI, and once I do I can let I Link take over while I fish! My office is located in a helicopter, so I appreciate navigational tools. Even though the pilots can fly without GPS, it is a valuable tool that we as boatmen must embrace too. Can't wait to fish again!

...||| 2013 .1775. PRO-V SE ---
......\ ----115 MERC 4 STROKE -------
[|||] ------------------------------------- >>>
....../ ---.TERROVA WITH LINK -------
...||| 858c|858c DI|898c SI ---
Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Wallhanger

i-Pilot Link is a powerful boat control tool.

Like Johnnie, I have had a chance to run a pre-release i-Pilot Link system. I've been using mine since mid-late summer, and have used it on all of the fundamental types of water that an upper midwest angler is likely to encounter: big rivers like the Mississippi, smaller natural "up north" lakes, big water like Mille Lacs and Leech, and medium-sized Wisconsin reservoirs.

I have to say that integration of the i-Pilot motor control technology with the Humminbird fish finder represents a quantum leap in the usefulness of the units....both the fish finder and the trolling motor. The more I used the i-Pilot Link system, the more ways I found to integrate it into my day-to-day fishing activities. I know you will as well.

I have a collection of i-Pilot Link videos that you can review on the page below. They will demonstrate some of the features that i-Pilot Link brings to the table, and show you how I used these features in real fishing situations over the past several months.....targeting bluegills to bass to big fall walleyes.

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/LinkIndex.html
Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Jason

The foot control doesn't need to be upgraded as well---does it?

I always like a back-up, especially with new technology.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Jason, (or anybody else).

Is it your recommendation to drive the ILink from your console unit, or your bow unit, assuming both are compatible?

I primarily fish from the bow, but it seems like the right place for the primary unit is going to be the console.

I can get my head around alot of this stuff, but cant quite figure out the logistics of which unit will drive the ILink most efficiently.

Either way, I cant wait to get one..
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue View Post
Jason

The foot control doesn't need to be upgraded as well---does it?

I always like a back-up, especially with new technology.
No, the current Terrova foot pedal is compatible with i-Pilot Link.

As with previous i-Pilot generations, the PowerDrive V2 foot pedal is not operable with i-Pilot Link installed in that motor.

If you want total flexibility of foot, remote, or Humminbird fish finder control of i-Pilot Link, then Terrova is the motor for you.