Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Please help....ban WI fishing guides from gifting their catch to clients.......... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 01-28-2020, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

I thought that the possession limit is WI was twice the daily limit so depending where fishing 6 fish would be all a person can have in their possession. The way to stop it is to educate the guides which they should already know that they are ruining their own lively hood. I have been fishing the Big Chip for 8 years, the last three years been walleye fishing seriously early morning and evening. In the 8 years I haven't caught a two day limit of keepers in total. Catch a lot of 12 to just under 15 but keepers are hard to come by. Most of the group is there for crappie. Never use a guide finding fish is part of the challenge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2020, 09:36 PM
welll

Everybody always wants to blame someone else for a decline in the fishery. The bottom line is walleyes taste good and EVERYONE who keeps them to eat is part of the problem when there is a decline.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:45 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Sportdog;6390456]The idea of individuals making a profit utilizing a public resource doesn’t agree with me. That said, I have on a very few occasions paid for their services. Guess it sounds hypocritical but I would be fine with banning the practice. As always, YMMV.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the reasons I am against Tournament/Derby fishing. It's just another form of commercial fishing. But I don't ever see it going away.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

I would bet there are far more fishermen taking fish than guides. I heard one year (on LL) that a fella took more than 3k Crappies out if Geneva in a single fishing season (with his friend, I think). True or not idk!! But he was bragging on LL about it

I also have no problem with someone using a natural resource to profit if it's within the law, either. Like in all things, there are some who abuse the resources and ruin it for all, I suppose.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=djcoop52;6390566]I thought that the possession limit is WI was twice the daily limit so depending where fishing 6 fish would be all a person can have in their possession.[/QUOTE]

This is not true. The daily limit is 5 walleye. HOWEVER the daily limit on most single bodies of water is 3. This means you can catch a limit of 3 walleye on a lake, then go to another lake and catch 2 more to finish your daily limit of 5. Possession limit is twice the daily limit, so 10 walleye.

Really, the possession limit is the heart of the issue. The possession limit is what stops any one person from keeping limits day, after day, after day. Some guides are never reaching the possession limit because they gift their fish away to clients. These same guides do it on the same body of water over and over.

It's a loop-hole in the law and abuse of the resource. Stop guides from gifting fish to paid clients!

Last edited by Fin Bender; 01-29-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

One possibility would be for WI to adopt the Alaskan Guide rules. The Guide is not allowed to fish.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

It's not a problem if the guides fish ? Just throw back everything they catch.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

Mr. Bender, Have you ever given fish to a neighbor? If the fish are getting that scarce, turn away all the tourists! Bob
Old 01-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

[quote=baseline;6390732]one possibility would be for wi to adopt the alaskan guide rules. The guide is not allowed to fish.[/quote]

this /\ /\ /\
Old 01-29-2020, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Ozark Bob;6390748]Mr. Bender, Have you ever given fish to a neighbor? If the fish are getting that scarce, turn away all the tourists! Bob[/QUOTE]

What I have never done is keep a limit of fish on the same body of water over and over. Day after day. All season long. I've never taken several 100's of fish out of a lake in one season. I have never been paid to gift my fish to another person. I have never gifted my fish in an effort to avoid exceeding a possession limit. I have never exploited a resource in order to make a buck. I also can't understand how any of these activates should be encouraged to promote tourism.

I have no problem with guides or guiding. I have a major problem with guides gifting their fish to paid clients. You giving a walleye to your aunt Betty as a kind gesture is a whole world away from the issue at hand.