Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tire blowouts - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 PM

That is what I had in mine. 50#s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
I would definately do as the others suggested - verify your trailer's capacity, weigh your loaded rig, etc. And in my case...my trailer had 15% margin for the load, according to the plate. But my tires had 2% (yikes!), so yes, I went up to the next larger size. Note that just because you change tires/wheels, you are not increasing loads on any other part of the system more than is already there. So even if you just want the added comfort margin that bigger tires give you, go for it. But, of course, if the rest of the items are also just as over stressed, then bigger tires won't relieve any of the stress on the other parts, either.
But, don't go extreme, either - there is more load on the axels from the bigger tires, so smallest size up is the best.

Anyway - no my fenders did not fit after the swap. So I bought a piece of recycled milk jug 1x6 decking from Home Depot (no rot), cut to fit, and used it as a shim under the fender ends. A little recentering and drilling of holes in the "board", and all looks better than original. Fender bolts to board, board bolts to frame.
I guess that there is only one way to know for sure. I am just going to have to weight it.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbuster View Post
I had another blowout on my single axle trailer. It was a Goodyear Marathon again. I am starting to suspect that the trailer might be overloaded for the tires. I could weight it and know for sure. However with all of the problems that I have had I am ready to go up from a load rating of C to D.

Is there any reason that I cannot go from a 14" tire to a 15" tire? I would get new rims to match the tires.

In other words can I go from a 21575R14 to a 22575R15 tire and not have clearance problems with the fenders?
I found out that my fenders will move up a notch. I should be able to get the larger tires in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbuster View Post
That is what I had in mine. 50#s
Not sure if you ever saw this bulletin from Goodyear: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

I realize that you weren't traveling that fast, but they are OK'ing an extra 10# of pressure.
HRG
Old 08-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Bunzey Unlogged

Regarding weight, you're likely to be very surprised what the scale tells you... my 1800lb dry weight hull came in at 4400lbs on the scale including trailer, motor, fuel, gear etc.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Not sure if you ever saw this bulletin from Goodyear: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

I realize that you weren't traveling that fast, but they are OK'ing an extra 10# of pressure.
HRG
So I could inflate them to 60#s without a problem. That might be the ticket.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:

HRG
I also found this.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf

The interesting thing here is that they recommend that you overinflate your tires by 25% during storage. I have not been doing that. They also recommend that you have your tires inspected if they get a little low. I think that I am going to try driving 55 mph and get my tires inspected. I think that I will get an adjustable hitch that will allow me to level the trailer to gnats *** level.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

When I bought my boat, it came as a package deal, boat , motor, trailer. I assumed the trailer was good for it. After I blew a tire, I sat down and figured out the weight. Boat, motor, trailer, gear, batteries, etc. Wound up that I was about 100 pounds over weight. And that did not include stuff I threw in there when I took it on vacation. I sold that trailer, and went up to one bigger. Tandem axel, and I now have 1000lb leeway.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:

HRG
It sounds like an extra 10#s is the way to go all around. During storage and while on the road.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Just to stir the pot a little:

Disregarding bad tires and over weight, I have a feeling that some tires will "blow" due to things like a nail puncture. It seems like sometimes when the tire goes flat while driving, by the time the driver is aware of it, the tire is ripped to shreds and the fender is damaged. This could be in a matter of seconds.

I don't know if this is the case, but do suspect it. In an attempt to counter this possible scenario, I insert liquid sealant into my tires. I feel better in so doing, but honestly don't know if I am helping myself any, kinda like taking vitamins.. maybe.

I've heard that some service tech's don't like to deal with the sealant when changing out the tires, but I have not experienced this; I don't like dealing with ruined fenders, either.

Bill Krejca