Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2013 Lund Paint bubbling - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Keeper

Default 2013 Lund Paint bubbling

Original owner of this 2013 Lund Impact. Back in 2016 I had one whole side of the boat repainted (warranty covered) due to paint bubbling around the row of rivets just below the gunwale. Starting last year I have noticed it is starting there again as well as the other side and a few other random spots on the boat - the picture is the worst spot and it is growing fairly quickly. Last summer I talked to the dealer who was told by LUND they won't do anything for me.

So my questions are: 1. is there any chance I can get Lund to do something or is that a lost cause? 2. I am in the market to upgrade in the next year or two, has Lund changed anything that would prevent this from happening again (I'm sure the dealers and Lund would tell me yes)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_090646 (Large).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	311348  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Andree,
Take your semi orbital sander and sand out the bubbled paint. Look carefully at the surface under the bubbles for any sign of problems.

Ifyou find no problems, just continue the clean up and metal prep for a new coat of paint.

Mask off the areas, spray down a coat of primer and then after sanding with fine grit paper and a tack cloth tack off, spray on a couple of coats of the final matching color. Let it dry and go fishing.

Good luck
Old 07-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Andree,
Take your semi orbital sander and sand out the bubbled paint. Look carefully at the surface under the bubbles for any sign of problems.

Ifyou find no problems, just continue the clean up and metal prep for a new coat of paint.

Mask off the areas, spray down a coat of primer and then after sanding with fine grit paper and a tack cloth tack off, spray on a couple of coats of the final matching color. Let it dry and go fishing.

Or, just swing by your local auto body shop and ask them to correct the problems and when they call, pay the man, bring the boat home and go fishing.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

My 2013 went back to the factory in 2015 for a complete repaint. My paint issues began on the maiden voyage in March of 2013 and both the dealer and Lund dropped the ball. Dealer had some hack touch it up with a brush. It wasn't until I threatened with a lawyer that anything got done. Whether or not Lund will honor the paint on a 7 year old boat, is another story. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreej View Post
So my questions are: 1. is there any chance I can get Lund to do something
-- It would depend on what is causing this.
-- That photo appears to be a splash well drain. Bubbling in that spot could be caused by a number of things not associated with bad paint.

Have you had your the dealer investigate to identify the cause.. (corrosion, electrolysis, transom wood ,etc)
Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 PM
Slot Fish

I had the same issue on my 2013. Everybody wants to say electrolysis which is extremely rare and your not covered for. Lund supported me through 3 transom changes. I now have the hybrid transom which apparently is wood covered in pvc. Apparently it was a reaction with the transom and paint. There is a thread on here all about it. I feel your pain and hope Lund steps up for you as they did for me.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:16 AM
Wallhanger

Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Keeper

If it is the splash well drain, you might have a water leak from the inside of the well. I had one on my 2013 2010 Pro Guide. Seal the inside first, especially the lower 1/2 of the drain.
Ches.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:15 AM
Wallhanger

Default Transom Bubbling

andeej, sent you a pm.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Wallhanger

Ummm, isn't this one of the signs of a wet and rotting transom?? Just wondering.