Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
More Walleye Information Than You Can Handle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 04:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default More Walleye Information Than You Can Handle

That is what the sites tag line is; "More Walleye Information Thank You Can Handle" yet I read or see very little about actual fishing and more about about how to fix that how to fix this, which is better this or that, football, what boat to buy what boat is faster and on and on.

While I appreciate all the wisdom and the great answered I wonder why I don't see much talk about actual fishing, tactics, what worked what did not work and so on. Even when people get the new boat or gear, very little about the fishing experiances ever posted.

Do people here actually fish or just work on stuff?

Not criticizing in any way just curious. I don't even get to read the stories about the on that got away? As fisherman we all appreciate the stories over a beer or 6!
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by Juls; 10-30-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

This site is a good place to go for answers to questions on walleye fishing. It maybe is not as known for spontaneous articles on successes experienced while fishing. So, historically, this site has been very good in providing answers, just ask away. Most all folks are here to not try to get you to buy something which they are selling. There are enough history stories here, obtained by doing searches, to help round out those of us who still want to be more knowledgeable.

I'm thinking it may be a rather slow winter for new info, just based upon the border being closed and people not having as many northern adventures to share - this goes along with sharing new techniques, etc. I have looked at various other sites over the years, and have found this one to best suit my needs. Beware of articles having tons of words starting with capital letters - these be products which the author thinks you can't live without.

Bill
Old 10-29-2020, 05:03 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
That is what the sites tag line is; "More Walleye Information Thank You Can Handle" yet I read or see very little about actual fishing and more about about how to fix that how to fix this, which is better this or that, football, what boat to buy what boat is faster and on and on.

While I appreciate all the wisdom and the great answered I wonder why I don't see much talk about actual fishing, tactics, what worked what did not work and so on. Even when people get the new boat or gear, very little about the fishing experiances ever posted.

Do people here actually fish or just work on stuff?

Not criticizing in any way just curious. I don't even get to read the stories about the on that got away? As fisherman we all appreciate the stories over a beer or 6!
Well, I think it's a combination of things...in general discussion, there are a lot more topics being discussed (obviously, it's "general discussion" )...in strictly fishing, it's pretty much "strictly fishing" .
I think you have many who visit this site to discuss more than just fishing, as I do...then you have those who visit this site to only engage in general topics...on the flip side some only visit to discuss fishing topics...in the end there is a lot more to talk about in general, than there is in talking about fishing...besides you can probably get more people to give away secrets on general subject matters than you can to give away fishing secrets...with fishing info, it's kinda like the old saying, "I'll teach you what you need to know, but I won't teach you everything I know".

I agree though, there doesn't seem to be as much fishing discussion lately...maybe everyone is busy fishing, that would normally be discussing it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
This site is a good place to go for answers to questions on walleye fishing. It maybe is not as known for spontaneous articles on successes experienced while fishing. So, historically, this site has been very good in providing answers, just ask away. Most all folks are here to not try to get you to buy something which they are selling. There are enough history stories here, obtained by doing searches, to help round out those of us who still want to be more knowledgeable.

I'm thinking it may be a rather slow winter for new info, just based upon the border being closed and people not having as many northern adventures to share - this goes along with sharing new techniques, etc. I have looked at various other sites over the years, and have found this one to best suit my needs. Beware of articles having tons of words starting with capital letters - these be products which the author thinks you can't live without.

Bill
Good points, I turned off the email notifications because I got tired of the same type of subject lines filling up my email so now I just click the new posts and very seldom see much about actual fishing. Now don't get me wrong I like the useful help that so many wise members have to share but I joined the site mainly for fishing topics. While there is a lot of info when you search its like going to the library. What happened in history not really what I want to know about today.

I like to know that so and so caught this or lost that or found this and so on. Don't even really care if they share the where. Just the what and how, not asking for everyone to share guarded secrets. I don't mind sharing mine because when you get there you will only find I already caught it!
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 10-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
Well, I think it's a combination of things...in general discussion, there are a lot more topics being discussed (obviously, it's "general discussion" )...in strictly fishing, it's pretty much "strictly fishing" .
I think you have many who visit this site to discuss more than just fishing, as I do...then you have those who visit this site to only engage in general topics...on the flip side some only visit to discuss fishing topics...in the end there is a lot more to talk about in general, than there is in talking about fishing...besides you can probably get more people to give away secrets on general subject matters than you can to give away fishing secrets...with fishing info, it's kinda like the old saying, "I'll teach you what you need to know, but I won't teach you everything I know".

I agree though, there doesn't seem to be as much fishing discussion lately...maybe everyone is busy fishing, that would normally be discussing it now!
Good points, I turned off the email notifications because I got tired of the same type of subject lines filling up my email so now I just click the new posts and very seldom see much about actual fishing. Now don't get me wrong I like the useful help that so many wise members have to share but I joined the site mainly for fishing topics. While there is a lot of info when you search its like going to the library. What happened in history not really what I want to know about today.

I like to know that so and so caught this or lost that or found this and so on. Don't even really care if they share the where. Just the what and how, not asking for everyone to share guarded secrets. I don't mind sharing mine because when you get there you will only find I already caught it!
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 10-29-2020, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

Like many I have been here for a while. I think strictly fishing has become the least visited forum here. Not sure why. I think Covid has changed all of us in one way or another. Seems like more tension than ever. The political atmosphere is pretty intense. I think the bulk of people here are getting to be members of the super senior set.(me included). I think there is a been here done that atmosphere. Not as many everyday fishing conversations that get us involved and energized. I am looking for a turnaround during this cold/frozen water period. I think the tech stuff has gotten most of the play. I enjoy that as well but miss fishing talk with the guy's the most. Bob
Old 10-29-2020, 10:18 PM
Keeper

This site is a great resource for boat questions. The swap board is pretty cool too.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:36 AM
Wallhanger

I think the 24-7 Covid has taken a toll on everyone. I still check this site every morning as part of my daily routine. All people and their interests are different, just as the way we fish and do things are different. I'm also a super senior and don't get out as much anymore but still enjoy the site. It's up to all of us to keep it active and a good resource. Don't get me wrong, I'm not finding fault with anyone or their use of the site.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 10-30-2020, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

This site hasn’t been the same for years now. There is a lot of good info, but, I have to admit, back in the day a guy could learn fishing from the folks here. Now days it seems to be a lot of bragging about expensive boats, pickups, rods and reels and other equipment. There’s a lot of down right orneryness towards certain folks, too. I thought about having my account deleted, I left it sit for quite awhile, but in the end, I thought it would be good entertainment to watch people bicker and get pissy with one another. $.02
Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

I certainly don’t fish as much as I used to for a variety of reasons. Relocating, age, border closing, and loss of my fishing partners. As others have said this is General Discussion and I rather enjoy the variety of topics that get hashed out. When you have been on this site as long as I have you tend to quit joining discussions about “what’s the best lure for walleye”, “do you release big walleyes”, “what’s the best jigging rod”, etc etc etc.
Plenty of good information on WC and some lively discussion that has not one dang thing to do with fishing. Good mix IMHO.

YMMV