Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shallow water active Saugeye crumbs n' tidbits - Page 14 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Arrow -WC post from earlier today...

Today, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

1988 was a good year

I bought my waterfront on Indian Lake (where I now live full-time) back in 1988, I totally updated/remodeled it before retiring in 1999. I retired w/no debts & have none now I had to decide if I wanted to retire on Indian Lake or Lake Erie at that time ~ 'twas a no-brainer for me 'cuz Indian Lake is a excellent fishing body of water for Eyes, Bass & Panfish without any blowdays and boat runs over 5 miles from home... The best time to fish is after dark or overcast days and weekdays ~ which retirement make easy... (daytime on the weekends does 'suck for the weekend warriors)

I just hit the button on the boat lift & the Beater I-boat is ready to go on the sUMo hunt...

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Last edited by Raybob; 02-28-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Smile -about IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...s/viewpost.gif
Night time fishing can be good for bigger fish if the water is "clear". My experience has been that fishing stained to muddy water at night has been very poor. There seems to be a decreasing success rate proportionately, stained to increasingly muddy , corresponding with dusk to full dark. In other words, if the water is not easy to see through, night fishing usually will be not be very good, getting proportionately less so as it gets darker.

Bill

We are in the middle of farm county on a 5800 acre shallow lake that ave 6-7' deep with numerous/miles of canal & open water dredge slot areas 8-13' deep along with 70 islands. That idea of yours does not apply here, heck a 15-20 mph breeze will change IL from a farm-rich stained green color to pure muddy without rainfall. Also daylite means numerous boaters/skiiers/jetskies & you name it to put the larger 8lb plus daytime eyes down. The large Eyes lose caution & move to the better feed/chow-down areas after dark... this has been true for my 70+ years. Heavy usage on any body of water will put the daytime Eyes down unless it's a BOD (beautiful overcast day) and a quite lake w/o storms...

>> Also our fish rely on sound more than eye-sight (R-traps for the large Eyes)

Later Gator,
da old fart

Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Last edited by Raybob; 03-21-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Arrow Raybob's IL shallow-water Saugeye size chart -

-Water-Skiier (under 12") you know you have one on when you see them on the surface behind the boat

-Smelt (12-14") a baby dink -a lil' dead weight on the line

-Dumb-Dink (14-17") -dead weight on the line w/some rod-bend

-Eater (17-20") -a Rod-shaker w/a lil' smarts

-Gal (20-26") -Mean-a$$ fighter

-sUMo (over 26") -Nasty-a$$ toothy critter

sUMo's -or- Bust!

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser