Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Merc 15 EFI Pro Kicker electrical interference - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-02-2022, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

I have a new Mercury 9.9 kicker - I don’t notice interference, but I do have a noticeable whine at certain RPM’s. I might have to try the propeller you mentioned to see if it helps with the whine.
Itroll
Lowrance Autopilot
Lowrance HDS Live 12
Lowrance Carbon 9
Lowrance Elite FS
Recon Tracks / Cisco Rod Holders
Fine Tuned Welding Rod Trees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2022, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by man164 View Post
I have a new Mercury 9.9 kicker - I don’t notice interference, but I do have a noticeable whine at certain RPM’s. I might have to try the propeller you mentioned to see if it helps with the whine.
The prop will not resolve the whine. That sound is inherent to the alternator/stator on the engine.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:09 PM
Keeper

What kinda boat is this 15 hp EFI kicker on to understand the cavitation thing? I've never had cavitation with my 15hp EFI kicker so I'm curious and it may help somebody else if they have the same rig.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick! View Post
What kinda boat is this 15 hp EFI kicker on to understand the cavitation thing? I've never had cavitation with my 15hp EFI kicker so I'm curious and it may help somebody else if they have the same rig.
Mine is on a Ranger 621 but other have had similar issues. It is caused during high throttle trolling.
I suspect the Merc large hub 4 blade prop allows some of the exhaust to push forward over the gear case and back on the blades causing them to cavitate. This is only under heavy load.