Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Umfreville Lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-23-2001, 11:29 AM
Tracker

Default Umfreville Lake

Our group will be heading to this lake the first week of September. It is our first time there, so any fishing reports or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2001, 01:34 PM
SLG

Default RE: Umfreville Lake

Well I suppose I should answer one of these since other people have answered mine.

Been going to this area for 20 some years, just got back August 10. Fishing as usual was good. Seventy five to 100 walleyes a day for two in the boat was the norm this time around. Most fish run 17-21 inches but all sizes are caught, big and small. A few smallmouth(nice size though)and some northern (no big northern). Fish seem to bite all day long, just keep looking for spots. Don't sit on one spot all day unless the action is non stop. This time of year the majority of fish are on midlake reefs but you can catch them on island points, long bars etc. We fished 10-25' and bait didn't seem to matter. In fact I challenged anybody in our crew to find something that didn't work. We bought leeches in fort francis and also brought crawlers. A jig was used by most of our crew because it is simple and quick. Jigs sizes were quarter to eighth ounce, color made no difference. Half a crawler was more effective than a whole one. If you are staying at Halleys be aware that a strong northwest wind(25mph or greater) can keep you in camp, the Ump is pretty big. If so, go below the dam which is right across from the resort and fish. Plenty of 20" walleyes were caught on a day the crew was blown off. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:33 PM
pepe

hey tracker i wish you the best of luck and when you get back i hope you give us a fishing report, because we will be going up the last week of sept. this is also the first time there for us so i cant give you any idea of where to catch fish but from all indications we should do well. i think that when you get there the owners will be able to tell you where the hot spots are at that present time. good luck and good fishing. pepe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2001, 07:49 PM
Sean

i would check out goshawk lake..and the trolling can be good in front of one man camp on the main lake side..holler if you need more info.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:34 PM
pepe

hi sean. its getting close to my time to go fishing and will be giving you a call about it if i can. pepe
Old 08-28-2001, 10:36 AM
Sean

no problem...whenever you want to.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:58 AM
pepe

hey slg, you say to fish below the dam if the wind is too strong on ump. does halleys have boats there or are you shore fishing?. or,maybe you were able to launch your own boat below the dam and fish? thanks, pepe.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:02 PM
slg

We have just shored fished, it is the tailwater. We have observed boats coming into the dam area, I beleive they are from the Caribou Falls resort. Have never launched a boat below the dam. I not positive but I believe Halleys only has boat rentals above the dam.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:54 PM
Minnow

That is correct - Halley's only has boats above the dam, and significant wind will keep you in camp.

Below the dam the boats are from Caribou Falls and Tetu camps - I'll be fishing there ~ 3 1/2 weeks!
Old 08-30-2001, 07:53 PM
Sean

been going there for several years and never knew about that..sounds fun..what does a guy have to do to fish that snagger?