Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Milage and Time to Sioux lookout - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Keeper

Default Milage and Time to Sioux lookout

Looking for any information on how long in real time and mileage it takes to travel from Minneapolis(airport) to Sioux Lookout? I have looked at Google Maps but sometimes the times can be inaccurate and of course the border crossing times can be a big factor. Also the mileage/time to going the Pigeon River/Thunder Bay route. I know it's longer route. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 06:52 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway12 View Post
Looking for any information on how long in real time and mileage it takes to travel from Minneapolis(airport) to Sioux Lookout? I have looked at Google Maps but sometimes the times can be inaccurate and of course the border crossing times can be a big factor. Also the mileage/time to going the Pigeon River/Thunder Bay route. I know it's longer route. Thanks.
I traveled from Ham Lake, Minnesota to Sioux Lookout today. It's 450 miles and about 10 hours
including a stop for breakfast and a couple other quick stops. I just drove across at the border. No line at all and that was at 12:30 pm. When you turn up 502 there is about 12 miles of dirt road, but they were working so that will be shorter with time. The rest of the road is in good shape. Not much traffic at all.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway12 View Post
Never go up the north shore but it is longer. We usually head up 35 to 53 and cross at International Falls. I always figure about 10 hours and I am 45 minutes from the airport. Google maps says its 8 hours 11 minutes however I always add around 2 hours if you are stopping for breakfast, gas, and the border crossing. Depending on the time of day I would figure about 12 hours.
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
Never go up the north shore but it is longer. We usually head up 35 to 53 and cross at International Falls. I always figure about 10 hours and I am 45 minutes from the airport. Google maps says its 8 hours 11 minutes however I always add around 2 hours if you are stopping for breakfast, gas, and the border crossing. Depending on the time of day I would figure about 12 hours.
My route was through International Falls also. There's about 12 miles of dirt/gravel at the beginning of 502, but they were working today so it may be done by the time that I head home.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

I can usually get to the MSP airport from home in 8 hours in the off season, it is another 50 minutes to Sioux Lookout from my house. I would say 9 hours if you don't let the grass grow, realistically for you, probably 10.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

Why don't you fly into Winnipeg and save yourself 700 km of driving, flights daily direct from Phoenix on Air Canada and Westjet.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 PM
Keeper

Thank you all for the helpful information!

martinbns - Short answer is money. The RT bag fees alone on those 2 airlines cost more than the gas to get way up there. I also like the drive, it's part of the experience for my group.