Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1997-2006 Lund Boat Owners Beware - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Default 1997-2006 Lund Boat Owners Beware

This may have come up on earlier threads but I want to alert ALL Lund boat owners that own 1997-2006 models to check their transoms for rotting. Non-marine grade plywood was used in the inner walls of the transom. It is a known issue but Lund did not notify original owners that there was an issue per a 1971 law requiring boat manufacturers to alert original owners of a manufacturing defect.

What's worse is that they will not work with owners who have rotted transoms. I own a 2003 ProV 1900 SE. The transom completely rotted and the boat now requires $3500 in repairs. Obviously, Lund denied my warranty request even though this is a known issue.

I know Lund has since went to composite material in the transom but based on past history, they probably have skimmed on other parts of the boat. i would avoid buying any Lund boats as they are afraid to stand behind their work. What happened to my boat is a complete joke. This is coming from someone who owned a Lund boat my entire life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger View Post
This may have come up on earlier threads but I want to alert ALL Lund boat owners that own 1997-2006 models to check their transoms for rotting. Non-marine grade plywood was used in the inner walls of the transom. It is a known issue but Lund did not notify original owners that there was an issue per a 1971 law requiring boat manufacturers to alert original owners of a manufacturing defect.

What's worse is that they will not work with owners who have rotted transoms. I own a 2003 ProV 1900 SE. The transom completely rotted and the boat now requires $3500 in repairs. Obviously, Lund denied my warranty request even though this is a known issue.

I know Lund has since went to composite material in the transom but based on past history, they probably have skimmed on other parts of the boat. i would avoid buying any Lund boats as they are afraid to stand behind their work. What happened to my boat is a complete joke. This is coming from someone who owned a Lund boat my entire life.
Friends 2006 1875 pro v just diagnosed with transom rot.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Default old subject on WC, but must be new to you?

Lund transoms have been cussed, discussed and recussed for years here on WC. There are many threads relating to this subject over the years. Do some searching and you will finds hours of reading material related to the Lund transom problems.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

I do not recall this being discussed but how does the average Joe know when there is a problem with a rotting transom.

Is there some symptoms that show up? Do you see flexing in the transom or if you push hard on the exterior aluminum at the transom you see movement?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger View Post

Its an unfortunate situation, but its a 16 year old boat. Look at any aluminum boat made now and you can see that Lund is still the best in this category.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Man View Post
I do not recall this being discussed but how does the average Joe know when there is a problem with a rotting transom.

Is there some symptoms that show up? Do you see flexing in the transom or if you push hard on the exterior aluminum at the transom you see movement?
Hit search and type "Lund transom rot" and you will get 4 pages of threads with close to a thousand posts discussing the symptoms and remedies for this issue.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:51 AM
Wallhanger

Wood rots plain and simple. Could Lund have done a better job with their transoms?- sure. They were under different ownership for most of the mentioned years, Been under Brunswick's wings since 04. Errors have been corrected. I've had two different Lunds and had two different transoms replaced but now I have peace of mind knowing i have a brand new transom. Unfortunate but Lunds are still and always have been top notch boats
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
Its an unfortunate situation, but its a 16 year old boat. Look at any aluminum boat made now and you can see that Lund is still the best in this category.

I concur with this.

I have been boating for 38 years. Have owned various well known reputable brands through that time. They were all OK, but kept coming back to Lunds. They were just overall better boats,built tighter, quieter, nothing rattled and they ran smoother in a heavy chop than the rest.

Have owned 3 Lunds, 2 used ,1 new, (all pre Brunswick.) including my current Lund bought new in 2001. No transom,or any problem with current boat. Previous,a 1988 Lund ,bought used, had a couple issues early, not a transom, that Genmar responded to well, despite not original owner. No issues with first one, a 1982 bought used in 1985.

From my own experience, for the next new one, Lund will still be at the top of the list for consideration.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Default checking Transom for rot

Quote:

Search "Another Lund rotten transom" This is me and what I did with my 2003. If the transom cap screws spin without tightening... there is trouble. The discussion is long and there are pictures. It was a lot of work but not rocket science. Story had a happy ending!!

Good Luck Swede
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

There are several indicators, small paint bubbles around rivets and fittings, black streaks weeping from anything screwed into transom,Indents around motor mount screws and rivets which is wood swelling up,if you knock on it in various places there will be a more hollow sound. If you pull a screw out and water drips out. Cracked aluminum in transom top cap by motor due to extra flexing of the soft wood.Also visual inspection by going into bilge area, on some models you can see some of the wood. On my latest boat it was so bad , the wood was so bad pieces broke off in my hand in bilge area.

These are some if indications which may or may not be present. If you suspect a bad transom on a boat you might be purchasing its not the end of the world, just point it out to owner and negotiate it into the purchase price. If they are unwilling to do so ,move on. I bought both my Lunds with bad transoms, didn't mind as now I know there is fresh wood back there . I replaced my latest with Seacast, will never rot again.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel