Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Props, what to try next? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Wallhanger

FYI, I agree 100% with Waxy, you can try some 19P props which will certainly pull your rpms up closer to where they should be. I would expect it'll help quite a bit on hole shot and mid range but won't likely affect you top end much. The Tempest, Rev 4, and Bravo's would my prop's of choice pending what characteristics you are after. I think those three are each better than the enertia, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Sle,
Sorry to disagree with your disagreement.

I have been on several boats that have ported props including my own. In every case, if one tries t o hold the boat at an rpm that is just fast enough for the boat to get on plane, you will hit this herky jerky event every single time.

Note:
I am saying that you are trying to be right at the edge with holding the boat on plane at the lowest possible engine speed. At this rpm, you will find that you get the prop and the engine surging as a result of the vented props.

Conversely, plug the vents, and the entire prop and engine surging disappears 100%.

But, if you do want to run a vented prop, then by all means run a vented prop. No question about it, that if you hammer the throttle with a vented prop, you will do better on hole shot than if you run a non vented prop.

Take care
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
Sorry, I'm going to agree to disagree with REW (once again), that's a bunch of hogwash about the vents causing a "herky jerky" ride at some arbitrary mid level rpm. I ran my vents wide open completely without plugs on my DAH Tempest Plus (they are giant vents without a plug) and on two different boats (coincidentally both Yar-crafts); and can say with complete confidence and experience that it's not like they "all of the sudden" hook up or start to slip. It's a much more gradual thing, there is no "herky jerky" grab and go at some magical rpm.

The only thing you'll really notice is it will absolutely slip more, turn more rpm, and take more throttle to work big water. Does it affect the planing speed? sure probably about 1-2 mph difference on a boat the size your talking about from full open to full closed on the vents. Is it a night and day difference, certainly not.
100% agree
I have messed with my vents more than I prefer. Found a nice compromise and rolling with it. Lots of people say leave 4 stroke motor pvs plugs closed but in my situation I disagree.
My boat feels a bit under powered pulling tubes at 5k elevation or fishing at 9k with 3 people.
Between the vents and foil itís dialed and does both way better than before. I have over vented my prop and it sucks really bad. When it get it just right itís worth the time spent.
BT terrova link