Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Merc 15 EFI Pro Kicker electrical interference - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

Default Merc 15 EFI Pro Kicker electrical interference

Anybody else having issues with the electrical noise these new Merc EFI 15 are producing on sonar. Terrible howl and electrical interference at 1/4-1/2 throttle. I am unable to get rid of the noise through my sonar and have tried every setting know to man. The noise is being produced by the alternator on the 15. I know of others with the same issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Are you sure it's not the prop? I switched to a 4-blade prop on my kicker and it made a terrible howling sound anytime over idle speed and caused my sonar to go bonkers. Screen was filled with interference from top to bottom. Went back to the 3-blade prop and issues gone.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 3 blade on it now. It howls even when on muffs in driveway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

I realize that it's only a year old, but check to make sure it has these spark plugs in it.

NGK DCPR6E

Also, is the graph wired to the same battery that the EFI 15 is?

HRG
Old 09-11-2019, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
I have a 3 blade on it now. It howls even when on muffs in driveway
But is the interference still present on the muffs in the driveway?

HRG
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Wallhanger

I'm going to have to check this.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Plugs are correct.
The issue is related to the howl these motors produce at around 1/3 throttle or 2.5mph. Once you get past the howl the interference goes away. This is 3.5 mph range. Friend gas same issue. I dont believe its prop related.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Plugs are correct.
The issue is related to the howl these motors produce at around 1/3 throttle or 2.5mph. Once you get past the howl the interference goes away. This is 3.5 mph range. Friend gas same issue. I dont believe its prop related.
In your OP, you indicated that this was an electrical interference issue. If it is, I would expect you to see the problem on your graph whether in the driveway or in neutral, with the motor at the same rpm.

If you don't get the interference without the prop spinning, then I think you need to start looking at transducer placement?

HRG
Old 09-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Quote:
Plugs are correct.
In your OP, you indicated that this was an electrical interference issue. If it is, I would expect you to see the problem on your graph whether in the driveway or in neutral, with the motor at the same rpm.

If you don't get the interference without the prop spinning, then I think you need to start looking at transducer placement?

HRG
Dont think that is the real reason and I say so because I have run other kickers with the same set up. Same battery configuration, same transducer placement, same prop, same boat. The only difference is the EFI Merc vs the non efi.
This motor has a distinctive howl at 1/3 throttle that goes away at idle and half to full throttle. It comes from the alternator/flywheel.
Since my friend has this same issue I was wondering if others have experienced this. The howl is loud.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Dont think that is the real reason and I say so because I have run other kickers with the same set up. Same battery configuration, same transducer placement, same prop, same boat. The only difference is the EFI Merc vs the non efi.
This motor has a distinctive howl at 1/3 throttle that goes away at idle and half to full throttle. It comes from the alternator/flywheel.
Since my friend has this same issue I was wondering if others have experienced this
. The howl is loud.
According to my contact at Mercury, who is in a position to know, there have been no reports filed on this issue with the EFI 15. If you and your buddy haven't had them back to a dealer, who reported the issue to Corporate, I'd suggest you take the opportunity when you get a chance.

HRG