Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
braid to floro knots - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-08-2020, 04:31 AM
Wallhanger

Default braid to floro knots

I was using a Alberto knot but had them break occasionally so I went to a double uni. The other day I was casting and my blade bait went flying and the knot was broken. It's not the first time & I always lose a lure that's catching fish. I haven't had a knot fail on a fish but occasionally casting. I just tied in a swivel to eliminate the braid to floro knot but the swivel won't go thought the guides.
I am using a medium fast Avid with small guides. I think the guides damage the knot after a while even though I don't see anything wrong with them. I am going this morning to see how I like the swivel but maybe I should just retie the double uni once a day or so.
Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2020, 04:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
I was using a Alberto knot but had them break occasionally so I went to a double uni. The other day I was casting and my blade bait went flying and the knot was broken. It's not the first time & I always lose a lure that's catching fish. I haven't had a knot fail on a fish but occasionally casting. I just tied in a swivel to eliminate the braid to floro knot but the swivel won't go thought the guides.
I am using a medium fast Avid with small guides. I think the guides damage the knot after a while even though I don't see anything wrong with them. I am going this morning to see how I like the swivel but maybe I should just retie the double uni once a day or so.
Anyone else experience this?
i’ve never had on break for a long time. What line are you using and size.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-08-2020, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

I have been using the "FG" knot for some time now. Works well for me and has been extremely durable and smooth when going through the rod guides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2020, 05:27 AM
Keeper

I've struggled with this also. I lost two baits this spring with FG knots. I think a big factor are the small guides on rods these days. I have started to lob the baits more than cast as far as I can the reduce the pressure on the knots. I also have started inspecting the knot more for abrasive wear.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Snapping during casting seems to be more practicable when using mono, as it stretches. Using braid, casting by snapping the rod back, then forward seems to result in more lost baits/more several weakening on the line.

Bill
Old 11-08-2020, 06:55 AM
Wallhanger

I used to have a fair amount of my double uni knots break (come apart) on me, often during a hook-set. I decided that it was because I wasn't cinching each knot down enough before sliding them together. Now I wet each of the two knots, cinch them down, and then slide them together and cut the tag ends. Since then, I haven't had one break on me in a long time.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

I looked up the FG knot online. I believe that trying to tie that knot would cause me enough that I would quit fishing.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

I am betting it isn't breaking as much as it is the knot is sliding open. A dab of superglue, or tie tighter works well.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
I am betting it isn't breaking as much as it is the knot is sliding open. A dab of superglue, or tie tighter works well.
That has been my experience, and I've concluded that happens because I did not tighten it enough when tying the knot. The FG knot takes way way too long to tie. Currently I am using the Yucatan knot. https://www.101knots.com/yucatan-knot.html
I would stress the amount of tension you use when tying the knot. To tighten it harder I use two short pieces of 1/2- 3/4 vinyl sprinkler pipe. Now I can really cinch the knot tight and not cut my fingers.
Find a knot you trust and don't dread tying but in NO case would I use a swivel.
Here is another version;
https://www.rapala.com/how2TV-How-to...atan-knot.html

Last edited by clawman; 11-08-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:22 AM
Slot Fish

Not the easiest knot to tie, but I tie a couple of nail knots - one on the mono and one on the braid. Sort of like two hang mans knots pulling against each other. I have a tool that makes if marginally easy to tie them. Heaviest I have done is 20 mono to 30 braid - lighter is much easier.