Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2008 alumacraft classic 165 cs vs 2008 lowe fm 165 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Minnow

Exclamation 2008 alumacraft classic 165 cs vs 2008 lowe fm 165

Hi everybody,
I'm looking to purchase a first boat. I narrowed my options to these 2 boats: 08 Alumacraft classic 165 cs an 08 Lowe fm 165.
I can get them at almost the same price (alumacraft $200 higher).
Lowe has a 60hp Mercury 4 stroke, Minn kota 55 foot controlled and Humminbird 55 fish finder.
Alumacraft has a 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke, remote controled Minn kota 55 and 2 better fish finders.
Both boats have very little use (That's what I'm told). I think that Alumacraft is a better boat but 60 hp 4 stroke in Lowe makes it difficult for me.
Need a little help since I've never owned a boat before and have very limited experience.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Wallhanger

I think you've laid out the advantages of both quite well. Sit in both and decide which will be handier for you.
As to former use, do the OBs have computers that record total hours, hours at idle or full throttle, etc.? If so, the service department's laptop can access that information.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Minnow

The OBs have no meter.
Are you saying that dealer can hook it up to the computer and look up the hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeway127 View Post
The OBs have no meter.
Are you saying that dealer can hook it up to the computer and look up the hours?
The Yami's record their time. Dealer can access it as well as those who have the appropriate NMEA connector cable. That is how I get my total hours (yamaha F70).

My hours are total hours through the connector. I don't know if more fine grained readings are available through a dealer hookup.

Frank

Last edited by BreezyPoint; 10-02-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Minnow

Ok. That's good to know.
As far as rig, any preferences?
How does Lowe stands to Alumacraft?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeway127 View Post
Ok. That's good to know.
As far as rig, any preferences?
How does Lowe stands to Alumacraft?

Thanks
Safeway, I have the Classic CS-165 with the Yamaha F70. I now have 230 hours on the motor and the motor is a great motor. The boat is very well built and handles rough water very well. The 2xb bow really helps the handling compared to past boats I have owned. I spend a great deal of time on big water with this boat (Lac Seul and Lake of the Woods comprise most of that 230 hours) and the boat is much drier than my previous 18 foot bass style boat).

The boat is perfect for two people, would be a little crowded with three people. I wouldn't try casting with three people in the boat.

Rod storage is good for rods up to seven feet. I don't think it would fit 7.5 foot rods without some modification (which is possible). The rod lockers are fairly wide, which takes up some of the interior space.

As I recall, you were looking at this boat with a 50hp Yami. I think this may be a little underpowered for the boat. My boat makes 34 mph at 6300rpm (max rpm) with standard prop. The 50 is essentially the same block as the 70. Boat gets between 6.5 and 7 mpg at 25 mph. I get about 15mpg at trolling speed, so you can troll all day on a gallon of gas.

The NMEA connector gives me total hours, engine temp, and tilt, which I can display on my depth finders. I find the tilt and engine temp to be very useful. The boat didn't come with a tilt and trim gauge and I use engine temp to make sure motor is fully warmed up before I take off (per owner's manual). It takes a surprising amount of time to reach operating temperature, especially in colder water. I would say about a half a mile of idling.

I can't compare this to the other boat as I am not familiar with it. I hope this can help you somewhat on your decision making.

Frank
Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Minnow

That's a valuable info and it helps a lot.
Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Wallhanger

I'd say buy them both, put all the good stuff on the hull you like best, and sell-off the other rig!

Welcome to WC!

HRG
Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Minnow

I wish I could afford it!
Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Wallhanger

IMHO the Alumacraft is a better hull. At the end of the day you will have to decide. Neither is a speed demon. Neither is likely the last boat you will own. Enjoy which ever you choose.

Tags
alumacraft , lowe